The Mount Sinai Hospital is ranked 16th nationally for Urology by U.S. News & World Report.
The physicians of Mount Sinai Urology are leaders in robotic surgery and minimally invasive procedures to treat prostate, kidney, and bladder cancers.
We emphasize comprehensive, patient-centered care and devote considerable time to discussing the potential benefits and side effects associated with each treatment with you. We encourage you to become as knowledgeable as possible about their condition so the conversation can be truly two-way. Additionally, our approach is multidisciplinary. We partner with our distinguished colleagues in other departments in the Mount Sinai Health System, including radiology, medicine, and oncology, to ensure we are providing comprehensive, personalized, and coordinated treatment.
The diseases and conditions we treat include:
- Prostate cancer We offer a range of treatment options, particularly for tumors that have not spread beyond the prostate gland (localized). Our Robotics Prostatectomy and Minimally Invasive Surgery Program is one of the world’s busiest. Our research has assisted in the development of innovative therapies, including Provenge® (sipuleucel-T), the vaccine for prostate cancer approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 2010.
- Bladder cancer As recognized leaders in the assessment and treatment of all forms of bladder cancer, our urologic oncologists are successfully using tumor markers and new diagnostic techniques. Our surgeons employ robotic and laparoscopic surgery to remove the bladder (cystectomy), resulting in minimal impact on quality of life.
- Kidney cancer We helped pioneer robotic partial nephrectomy for the treatment of small kidney cancers. We offer other minimal invasive options such as freezing (cryoablation) or using heat (radiofrequency ablation) to treat small cancers while preserving maximum kidney function.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia The Barbara and Maurice Deane Prostate Health and Research Center offers the latest, minimally invasive technologies and treatments for benign prostatic hyperplasia, including holium laser enucleation of the prostate, Greenlight ™ Laser PVP treatment, transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP), and bipolar cautery vaporization (button TURP). We do many of these procedures on an outpatient basis.
- Reconstructive urology, female urology and voiding dysfunction We provide comprehensive resources for the evaluation and treatment of urinary incontinence, neuro-urological problems caused by diseases such as multiple sclerosis and diabetes mellitus and pelvic pain syndrome for both men and women. Our specialists have advanced training in urethral reconstruction. A state-of-the-art Continence Center provides the convenience of on-site diagnosis and treatment.
- Erectile dysfunction and infertility Our Sexual Health Program uses the most advanced techniques available to evaluate the causes of erectile dysfunction. Treatment options are extensive and have high success rates. We offer you and your partners the guidance you need to make treatment decisions that are right for you.
- Kidney stones We use minimally invasive procedures such as laser and ultrasonic lithotripsy techniques to treat kidney stones, depending on the size and type of stone.
- Infertility Our state-of-the-art use of medications, in vitro fertilization techniques, and microsurgical repairs have resulted in high success rates.
- Pediatric urology We excel in treating urologic problems in newborns, infants, children, and adolescents. We offer the latest minimally invasive treatments, including robotic-assisted surgery for major reconstructive procedures.