Hemophilia Treatment Center
The Mount Sinai Hemophilia Treatment Center (HTC) is part of a network of federally funded treatment centers in the United States and the Caribbean. It provides comprehensive, multidisciplinary care—including diagnosis, treatment, counseling, and education—to patients with bleeding disorders, the most common of which is hemophilia.
At the Mount Sinai HTC, patients are seen by an adult or pediatric hematologist. Hematologists are physicians who specialize in blood conditions. Other members of the care team may include orthopedists, infectious disease consultants, psychiatrists, nurses, physical therapists, social workers, dental hygienists, and clinical coordinators.
Treatment typically includes replacement of the missing clotting factor in the blood through a vein (intravenous infusion).
Comprehensive care at the Mount Sinai HTC includes:
- Education in self-infusion and health management
- Regularly scheduled visits with the care team for up-to-date assessments
- Individualized care plans
- Treatment with intravenous infusion of clotting factor
- Individual and family psychosocial counseling
- Family screening and genetic counseling and testing
- Coordination of surgery or hospital stays
- Referrals to specialists as needed, including experts in obstetrics and gynecology and reproductive endocrinology
Our goal is to enable patients to lead full, normal lives despite the challenges of hemophilia.
Christopher Walsh, MD, PhD has led the hemophilia program since 2002. Dr. Walsh and the entire care team ensure that adult patients are treated with respect and sensitivity and that each patient’s entire health profile is considered when developing treatment plans. Dr. Walsh conducts research in new and novel technologies to improve outcomes for patients with hemophilia.
Led by Gary Crouch, MD, MHSA, the pediatric clinic provides family-centered care for our pediatric, adolescent, and young adult patients with hemophilia. A full array of specialists at Mount Sinai Kravis Children’s Hospital is available to address each patient’s specific needs in a nurturing environment. We make sure that every child has access to state-of-the-art technology as well as Social Work and Child Life services that help young patients feel safe and enjoy fun activities.