Center for Spirituality and Health
The Center for Spirituality and Health at Mount Sinai’s Icahn School of Medicine is dedicated to the advancement of knowledge as it relates to the spiritual and religious needs of patients served by the Mount Sinai Health System. The Center has four areas of focus: clinical services, education, research, and community engagement.
Mount Sinai’s chaplains help people of all faiths find meaning, healing, hope, and comfort while experiencing the challenges of life. We seek to provide clarity for decision-making, inspiration, and release from stress by facilitating a feeling of connection to a Higher Power, God, the Universe, the Creator, or that which is beyond us all. Ultimately we hope to help people achieve a sense of balance and inner peace.
Professional chaplains do not proselytize. Professional chaplains provide spiritual care to allow people to draw upon and examine their own beliefs, encourage people to grow through their experiences, and meet patients where they are, both spiritually and emotionally. Chaplains can have a profound impact on patients and their families in confronting life’s most challenging times.
Spiritual care is provided by board certified, professional chaplains, including community faith leaders such as pastors, rabbis, priests, ministers, imams and other religious leaders, and specially-trained volunteers. This care is available to patients, families, friends, staff, and our community—in short, everyone is welcome to benefit from our services.
When Should You Call Spiritual Care?
When patients or families are:
- Experiencing conflict
- Experiencing despair or losing hope
- Confronting serious illness
- Facing surgery
- Suffering from trauma
- Facing life situations which seem to contribute to illness or complicate healing
- Experiencing grief, guilt or anxiety which seems to contribute to illness or complicate healing
- Searching for hope or meaning
- Facing difficult ethical decisions about treatment
- Lacking supportive family, friends or a congregation within visiting range
The Center for Spirituality and Health is pleased to provide the following range of services.
- Meditation, guided imagery for healing & stress management, prayer, religious resources
- Sunday Mass, Sacraments, and Communion for Catholic patients & their families
- Daily and holiday Synagogue services
- Major holy day services for various faiths and traditions