The Institute for Advanced Medicine
The Institute for Advanced Medicine (IAM) reaches out to groups who are underserved or have specialized needs, and provides outstanding, compassionate care—no matter one’s background, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. Some of the groups we serve include the HIV/AIDs community, the LGBTQ+ community, victims of domestic violence, recently incarcerated men and women who are transitioning to life on their own, and even those who cannot afford medical care.
Compassionate and Comprehensive Care
The Institute is led by Michael P. Mullen, MD, who has been a leader in the fight against HIV/AIDs since the 1980s. Today, HIV/AIDs is a disease that can be managed. However, it is a core belief at IAM that it is not enough to treat the disease medically. The Institute provides a holistic suite of services, including psychotherapy, support groups, services for partners and spouses, and even connections to social services such as housing and legal aid. We believe this approach benefits all the groups that we serve—from the LGBTQ+ community to survivors of sexual or physical abuse.
We Welcome All
Patients and their loved ones can receive all their care at IAM, including primary care, dental, and other specialty services. We welcome all, regardless of ethnicity, sexual orientation, or ability to pay.
Our doors are open to you. And we make it easy to find the care you need. We offer multi-lingual patient navigators who can coordinate your care, including medical, social services, health education, and support services.
Whatever your needs, you will find an extensive network of caring clinicians and supportive programs to meet your specific requirements. You’ll find outstanding doctors and staff, experienced in every specialty, all accessible through one program. Our specialty services include mental health, case management, social services, and on-site specialty doctors in areas such as cardiology, dermatology, dentistry, and nephrology. Services also include treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases.
The Latest Science. Groundbreaking Treatments.
As part of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, IAM participates in groundbreaking research across a wide variety of fields, opening the way to revolutionary treatments and drugs. As a result, patients have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials—innovative treatments not available elsewhere.
The goals of the Institute of Advanced Medicine are:
- Deliver the highest quality primary and specialty care to New York’s diverse populations at every point of the health care journey
- Reduce transmission of HIV infection per New York State’s "End of AIDS" campaign
- Provide for the medical, surgical, and supportive care needs of the transgender communities
- Provide educational tools to our patients that improve health and quality of life
- Provide our patients access to innovative clinical trials throughout the Mount Sinai Health System
- Share our knowledge and best practices with other health care providers throughout the New York area
- Increase access to medication through our community pharmacies