The physicians and staff at the Institute for Advanced Medicine offer a wide variety of medical, social and support services.
Primary Care: Routine medical care including annual health maintenance evaluations and follow-up care for chronic medical conditions. Our Primary Care Providers oversee all the health needs of our patients, and, where appropriate, will access the wide-ranging resources of the Mount Sinai Health System to meet the needs of our patients.
HIV Primary Care: With over 30 years of experience providing the latest in HIV treatments, our caring staff of medical professionals serve as primary care providers with a particular emphasis on the diagnosis and treatment of HIV/AIDS in our community.
Specialty Care: Co-located specialty care services within our offices include dermatology, gastroenterology, gynecology, psychiatry, psychology, nutrition, neurology, cardiology, nephrology, pediatric/adolescent care, screenings for anal and cervical cancer, social work, and addiction treatment. Other specialty services are available by referral throughout the health system.
Care Coordination: The care coordination program is specifically designed to help people with HIV/AIDS get the support and information they need - via navigation, coordination of medical and social services, health education and adherence support - to achieve better health outcomes and a greater level of self-sufficiency. We work closely with an interdisciplinary team of health care providers to help clients remain connected to medical care and important benefits such as health insurance, housing and medical transportation. In addition, we provide adherence support, reminders for and accompaniment to medical appointments.
Dental Services: Comprehensive dental services include diagnosis and treatment, routine dental hygiene, cleanings, x-rays. Fillings and dentures are provided by our dentists and dental assistants. Referrals are made for oral surgery. For dental services, please call your practice.
Pharmacy Services: The IAM operates two commercial pharmacies for your convenience. Our full service locations provide you with options for accessing medications including delivery at the practice, at home, or during a private appointment with our pharmacist. Our pharmacies function like any other retail pharmacy, carry medications for treatments of HIV, Hepatitis C and other retail medications.
By having access to the Mount Sinai Health System’s Electronic Medical Record, our pharmacists can provide you better and safer prescription drug service, including monitoring for allergies and drug interactions. Plus they are there to answer your questions or concerns. We accept ADAP, Medicaid, Medicare and most insurance plans.
Mental Health Services: We offer on-site mental health services to address a wide range of issues experienced by our community. These services include medication management, individual, couples and family psychotherapy as well as professionally led support groups.
Integrative Medicine: We provide massage, yoga, acupuncture, meditation and other stress reduction therapies to our patient population as a complimentary treatment to traditional medicine.
HIV Testing: Rapid HIV testing is available at all IAM sites, as well as in the emergency rooms of our hospitals throughout the Mount Sinai Health System. Free or low cost services are available to those who qualify. And we provide access to our team of medical experts for those who test positive and require further medical care.
HIV Prevention: The IAM is committed to the prevention of the spread of HIV infection both through providing access to medications and to programs that address the needs of our diverse patients.
- nPEP, or non-occupational Post Exposure Prophylaxis, is a medication regimen to prevent HIV infection in the event of a risky exposure to HIV. nPEP – non-occupational Post Exposure Prophylaxis, is a medication regimen to prevent HIV infection in the event of exposure and is available 24/7 through our associated Emergency Rooms, all our IAM sites during regular business hours as well as our Elton John funded access program for evenings and weekends. For further information on nPEP please click here.
- PrEP is a medication that has been shown to prevent HIV infection if taken daily. PrEP is available at most of our locations, along with support for underinsured or uninsured patients to obtain this medication through the PrEP-AP program operated through the NYSDOH. For further information on PrEP please click here and for more information on the PrEP-AP program, please click here.
- The Sexual and Behavioral Health Program, SUMMIT, targets the uninsured and underinsured high risk population for PEP, STI and PrEP; clients at known risk are educated about PrEP & PrEP-AP as HIV biomedical prevention options, assisted with PrEP-AP applications if eligible, and strongly encouraged to attend a PrEP Friday session.
- The Targeted Populations Testing Program provides HIV testing, STI screening (rapid syphilis & self-collected 3-site gonorrhea and chlamydia) & PEP/PrEP information at high risk venues including bathhouses, sex clubs and sex parties in collaboration with party promoters.
- PrEP Fridays is part of a CDC-funded collaboration with ASCNYC, providing HIV testing, STI screening, and weekly evidence-based interventions including VOICES/VOCES (Video Opportunities for Innovative Condom Education & Safer Sex), where facilitators outreach groups of MSM clients, exploring condom use and negotiation strategies, and educating on PEP and PrEP.
- Young Adult Sexual Services (YASS) expands HIV/STI/HCV prevention and treatment services for young MSM of color, providing community-based point-of-care testing, peer training, prevention education - including PEP and PrEP, linkage to care and other wraparound services in Harlem/Washington Heights/S. Bronx.
- PrEP Access for High-Risk Patients: A Coordinated Effort to Support High-Risk Patients in Receiving PrEP in an Urban Setting includes patient outreach and in-reach in addition to staff and provider training to ensure that high risk negatives can access PrEP.
Hepatitis C/STD Testing and Treatment: We offer rapid Hepatitis C testing and rapid syphilis testing at several of our locations, with free or low cost to those who qualify. We provide care to both mono-infected HCV individuals as well as co- infected HIV/HCV clients. Patients receive intensive Hepatitis education, care and treatment by a team of co-located hepatitis specialists within the IAM.
Coming Home Program: Since 2006 the Coming Home Program has worked to improve the physical and mental health and emotional and social well-being of men and women during their transition from prison or jail to the community. Supportive counseling, individually and in groups, and case management is offered from formerly incarcerated staff who truly understand the challenges of coming home. In addition the Coming Home Program team trains all medical providers, clinicians and staff in the IAM to ensure that formerly incarcerated patients receive their health care in a safe and welcoming environment. For more information about the Coming Home Program please email us at ComingHome@mountsinai.org.
Transgender Medicine & Surgery: The mission of the Mount Sinai Health System Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery (CTMS) is to provide compassionate and comprehensive health care services for the transgender community. A multidisciplinary team of professionals help patients in their journey from initial assessment and screening, through hormonal therapy, surgical procedures, and post-transition care including primary care if required. For more information please click here.
Clinical Education: The Mount Sinai Institute for Advanced Medicine is home to one of the New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute's Clinical Education Initiative’s (CEI), three Centers of Excellence–HIV/HCV Center of Excellence. Through our grant-supported initiative, we aim to meet the HIV and Hepatitis C educational needs of medical providers throughout New York State by offering clinically relevant, up-to-date education and training on current HIV and HCV-related topics. We offer CME, CNE, and pharmacy credits for participation in educational activities. To learn more about CEI or to request a free training, go to www.ceitraining.org.
To speak with an expert regarding your patient with an STD, HIV, HCV or those in need of PEP or PrEP, please call this toll-free number at 1-866-637-2342.