Medical, Mental, and Holistic Health
At Mount Sinai, we treat the whole person. We provide everything from medical to psychological to social services. We believe this wraparound approach is the most effective way to help. Our Institute for Advanced Medicine (IAM) reaches out to groups that are underserved or have specialized needs. We offer advanced, compassionate care no matter your background, including race, ethnicity, country of origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We are committed to helping everyone within our diverse community who needs it.
At IAM, you can receive multiple medical services, all in one place. Our health care providers and staff are highly trained, skilled, and compassionate. We have five locations around Manhattan. Our specialized medical services include:
- HIV Testing: You can get a rapid HIV testing and fourth-generation lab testing at any of our sites. We provide free or low-cost services to those who qualify. If you test positive, our staff will connect you to care immediately and help arrange for you to get the services you need.
- HIV Primary Care: We have more than 30 years of experience providing the latest in HIV treatments. Our caring staff of medical professionals serves as primary care providers. We emphasize diagnosis and treatment of HIV/AIDS.
- HIV Prevention: We are committed to preventing HIV using the most advanced approaches including:
- PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis): A 28-day medication regimen helps prevent HIV infection if you may have been exposed to the virus. PEP works best when you start as soon as possible after you think you might have been exposed, no later than 72 hours after the exposure. PEP is available 24/7 through the NYC PEP Hotline (844-3-PEPNYC) and the NYS PEP Hotline (844-PEP-4NOW).
- PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis): This medication helps prevent HIV infection when you take it as prescribed. You can get PrEP at all IAM locations. We can help even if you’re underinsured or uninsured, thanks to New York State Department of Health’s PrEP-AP program. To reach IAM’s PrEP service team, call or text us at 929-400-7739.
- Community Outreach and Testing: We offer these services at a variety of venues including bathhouses, sex clubs, bars, schools, churches, community organizations, and special events. Community-based services include rapid screenings for HIV, syphilis, and hepatitis C; gonorrhea and chlamydia testing; PEP and PrEP information; education; condom distribution; and linkage to care.
- PlaySure Network 2.0: This program provides free clinical care including vaccination and testing, insurance enrollment support, mental health counseling, referrals and related services for uninsured and underinsured New Yorkers who qualify.
- Young Adult Sexual health Services (YASS!): This program is aimed at young men and transwomen of color. Services include community-based point-of-care testing, prevention education (including PEP and PrEP), insurance enrollment and linkage to care. If you are interested, we can connect you to other wraparound services in Harlem, Washington Heights, the South Bronx, and other areas.
- Hepatitis C/STD Testing and Treatment: We offer rapid hepatitis C (HCV) testing and rapid syphilis testing at several of our locations. Services are free or low cost to those who qualify. We help people who have just HCV as well as those who have both HIV and HCV. Our hepatitis specialists offer compassionate and comprehensive education, care, and treatment.
For information about or linkage to any of the above programs (except the 24/7 PEP Hotline 844-3-PEPNYC), please call or text us at 929-400-7739.
Mental, Nutritional, and Holistic Health Services
Our approach is to treat the whole person. We offer a range of mental, nutritional, and holistic health services to our diverse community.
Mental Health: We provide on-site mental health services to address a wide range of issues. Our services include medication management; individual, couples, and family psychotherapy; and professionally led support groups.
Nutrition Services: Good nutrition is a key factor in maintaining your health. We believe education and awareness of the importance of nutrition goes hand in hand with medical treatment. Our registered dietitians offer:
- Comprehensive nutrition assessments
- Development of nutrition treatment plans
- Educational groups for you and your family
- Nutrition counseling for you and your family
- Workshops on nutrition and wellness
We run a variety of nutrition education groups, including:
- Diabetes awareness groups to help you prevent or better manage this chronic illness
- Detox groups for natural healing
- Food preparation groups to improve cooking skills and nutrition
- Food store and market trips to learn about healthy food choices and nutrition labels
- Probiotics groups to discuss gut health
Integrative Medicine: We provide massage, yoga, acupuncture, meditation, and other stress reduction therapies. Many people find these approaches helpful, alongside traditional medicine.