Medical, Mental, and Holistic Health
Our goal is to provide services that treat the whole person—from medical to mental to social services. We believe this wraparound approach is particularly important for communities with special needs. The Institute for Advanced Medicine (IAM) reaches out to groups who are underserved or have specialized needs, and provides outstanding, compassionate care—no matter one’s background, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.
At the Institute, you can receive all of your health care in one place. From primary care to hospital services, everyone has access to treatment by our outstanding doctors and staff.
One of the important groups we serve is the HIV/AIDs community. Some of the specialized medical services we provide include:
HIV Testing: Rapid HIV testing is available at all IAM sites, as well as in the emergency rooms of our hospitals throughout the Mount Sinai Health System. Free or low-cost services are available to those who qualify. And we provide access to our team of medical experts for those who test positive and require further medical care.
HIV Primary Care: With more than 30 years of experience providing the latest in HIV treatments, our caring staff of medical professionals serve as primary care providers with a particular emphasis on the diagnosis and treatment of HIV/AIDS in our community.
HIV Prevention: We are committed to the prevention of the spread of HIV infection both through providing access to medications and to programs that address the needs of our diverse patients.
- nPEP, or non-occupational post-exposure prophylaxis, is a medication regimen to prevent HIV infection in the event of a risky exposure to HIV. nPEP is available 24/7 through Mount Sinai emergency rooms, all our IAM sites during regular business hours, as well as our access program funded by the Elton John AIDs Foundation on evenings and weekends. Learn more about nPEP.
- PrEP, or pre-exposure prophylaxis, is a medication that has been shown to prevent HIV infection if taken daily. PrEP is available at most of our locations, along with support for underinsured or uninsured patients through the PrEP-AP program operated through the New York State Department of Health. Learn more about PrEP<link needed. Initial copy deck indicated a link to more information but I was not able to find it through search>.
- The Sexual and Behavioral Health Program, SUMMIT, serves the uninsured and underinsured high-risk population for sexually transmitted infections (STI) with preventive education and treatments such as PEP and PrEP. We help clients understand and apply for the PrEP Patient Assistance Program, if eligible. Attendance at our PrEP Friday sessions is strongly encouraged.
- Community Outreach and Testing is provided at popular venues including bathhouses, sex clubs, and sex parties in collaboration with party promoters. Services include HIV testing, STI screening, and PEP and PrEP information.
- PrEP Fridays is offered in association with the Alliance for Positive Change, providing preventive education, HIV testing, and STI screening. Group discussions include bi-lingual sessions for black and Latino men and women based on VOICES/VOCES (Video Opportunities for Innovative Condom Education and Safer Sex), which provide a video screening and discussion. Sessions also explore condom use and negotiation strategies for Men who have Sex with Men (MSM), and education on PEP and PrEP. Funding for this program is provided through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Young Adult Sexual Services (YASS) expands HIV/STI/HCV prevention and treatment services for young MSM of color, providing community-based point-of-care testing, peer training, prevention education (including PEP and PrEP), linkage to care, and other wraparound services in Harlem, Washington Heights, and the south Bronx.
- PrEP Access for High-Risk Patients: A Coordinated Effort to Support High-Risk Patients in Receiving PrEP in an Urban Setting includes patient outreach and in-reach in addition to staff and provider training to ensure that clients who are at high risk, but test negative for HIV, can access PrEP.
Hepatitis C/STD Testing and Treatment: We offer rapid hepatitis C (HCV) testing and rapid syphilis testing at several of our locations, free or low cost to those who qualify. We provide care to both mono-infected HCV individuals as well as co- infected HIV/HCV clients. Patients receive compassionate and comprehensive education, care and treatment by a team of our experienced hepatitis specialists.
Mental, Nutritional, and Holistic Health Services
Our approach is to treat the whole person. The Institute offers a full suite of mental, nutritional and holistic health services.
Mental Health: We offer on-site mental health services to address a wide range of issues experienced by our diverse communities. These services include medication management; individual, couples and family psychotherapy; and professionally led support groups.
Nutrition Services: Nutrition is a key factor in maintaining health in many of the communities we serve. Education and awareness of the importance of nutrition goes hand in hand with medical treatment. Our comprehensive nutrition services are led by registered dietitian nutritionists, who provide nutrition evaluations, counseling, and education for patients and families, as well as workshops on nutrition and wellness.
The nutrition services we offer include:
- Comprehensive nutrition assessments
- Development of nutrition treatment plans
- Nutrition counseling
- Educational groups
Our nutrition education groups include:
- Diabetes awareness groups to help prevent or better manage diabetes
- Detox groups to restore natural healing
- Probiotics groups to learn about the benefits of good gut health
- Food store and market trips to learn about healthy food choices and nutrition labels
- Food preparation groups to improve cooking skills and nutrition
Integrative Medicine: We provide massage, yoga, acupuncture, meditation, and other stress reduction therapies to our patient population as a complementary treatment to traditional medicine.