Volunteer Opportunities at The Mount Sinai Hospital
The Mount Sinai Hospital’s Department of Volunteer Service works with more than 1,000 volunteers to provide support to The Mount Sinai Hospital and the surrounding community.
With a wide range of placements—from inpatient and ambulatory areas to offices and laboratories—our dedicated team is vital in executing the Mount Sinai’s mission of excellence in patient care, education, and research.
Volunteer placements are available in the following categories:
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at The Mount Sinai Hospital. We hope to welcome you into our volunteer corps in the near future.
Please note the following:
- Volunteers must be at least 15 years old. Age requirements may be higher for some placements.
- Potential volunteers will be provided with the required application materials, including letter of recommendation and medical clearance forms. Volunteer candidates ages 15 to 17 will receive additional materials.
- Volunteers are required to serve at least four consecutive hours per week for six months (100 hours). For summer placements, 10 hours per week for eight weeks (80 hours) is required. Time commitments may vary with placement.
- All volunteer service areas provide orientation, training, and supervision.
- From the time of the interview, the registration process usually takes about six weeks to complete.
- Volunteer applicants who are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents/Green Card holders will need to be cleared by our International Personnel office. NOTE: Volunteer applicants who are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents/Green Card holders must be currently enrolled full-time in a U.S. college or university to be eligible to volunteer. Please contact International Personnel here or by phone at 212-241-8300.
If you are interested in applying to become a Mount Sinai volunteer and meet the requirements, please send an email – with YOUR NAME and the NAME OF THE PROGRAM for which you wish to apply in the Subject line – to: VolunteerDept@mountsinai.org. Kindly attach your current resume and a personal statement in the body of the email to help us determine how to best process your inquiry.
If you have already secured a placement as a basic science lab or clinical research volunteer, please email ResearchVolunteers@mountsinai.org with the subject: “YOUR NAME—RESEARCH VOLUNTEER POSITION SECURED.” Please include in your email: 1) The name of your Principal Investigator, supervisor, or coordinator, 2) Whether the position is a basic science lab or clinical research volunteer position, and 3) Your tentative start date.
Please note that many of our programs have limited openings, so we cannot assure a placement for everyone who expresses interest. We thank you in advance for taking the time to best express your interest in volunteering and what motivates you at this time in your life.
Applications for Summer 2019 CARE volunteers are no longer being accepted.
If you are interested in applying for the Fall 2019 CARE program please reach out to the Department of Volunteer Services in early July 2019.
If you have been accepted for a Summer Volunteer Research position by a Researcher, Supervisor or Principal Investigator please email ResearchVolunteers@mountsinai.org for next steps.
For the Summer 2019 Research Program facilitated the Department of Volunteer Services, the application period is currently closed. If you are interested in applying for the Fall 2019 Research Program please reach out to the Department of Volunteer Services in early July 2019.
Summer Clearance Process
A staff member will be in contact with you regarding next steps in the interview process.
If you are selected for a summer placement, you will need to register for a time slot to watch HIPAA/Fire Safety videos and take an Emergency Management quiz at the Department of Volunteer Services Office. Viewing the videos and completing the quiz takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. To reserve your spot, please sign up here to watch training videos.
If you are an observer, once you have completed all clearance paperwork, you will need to register for a time slot to have your paperwork reviewed and receive your ID badge. The paperwork review and assignment of ID badge takes approximately 15 minutes to complete. To reserve your spot, please sign up here for Observer paperwork review.
There are limited spots for each session, so please register in 24 hours in advance!