Physical and Occupational Therapy
If you have a physical condition that might require rehabilitation, our physical and occupational therapists at Mount Sinai Downtown-Union Square will quickly diagnose and develop personalized treatment that is right for you.
Conditions We Treat
Our physical and occupational therapists offer comprehensive, compassionate care in a family-centered environment for a wide range of medical conditions, including:
- Back pain: Often related to an injury to muscles or ligaments
- Chronic pain: Any pain lasting longer than 12 weeks
- Functional loss after surgery: Inability to move a certain part of your body
- Joint pain: Caused by inflammation in the joint(s)
- Lymphedema: Build-up of lymph fluid in the affected area
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Chronic pain due to inflammation of the joints and surrounding tissues
- Sports injuries: All kinds of injuries that occur in both recreational and professional athletes
When you come to Mount Sinai Downtown-Union Square, you can be tested and diagnosed, as well as have your consultations and treatments.
Diagnostic tests we can perform include:
- Electromyography (EMG): Technique for evaluating and recording the electrical activity produced by skeletal muscles
- Ultrasound: Technique producing pictures of the inside of the body using sound waves
- VO2 mask: Breathing device used to test the flow of oxygen to the lungs
Treatments We Offer
Our highly skilled Mount Sinai Health System doctors offer a variety of the most advanced rehabilitative treatments available, such as:
- Balance and gait training: Exercise-based treatment that improves function of the inner ear, eyes, and leg muscles
- Cold laser: Use of light wavelengths to build tissue and speed up the healing process
- Community re-entry training: Helps you return to your routine daily lifestyle
- Functional mobility training: Develops muscles and joints for you to more safely perform everyday activities
- Hand therapy: Helps you regain strength and prevent pain in your hands
- Iontophoresis: A treatment to decrease sweating
- Kinesio taping: Helps alleviate pain in the knee, shoulder, ankle, and wrist
- Maitland therapy: Manual therapy to treat joint pain
- McKenzie therapy: Treats low back pain and leg pain
- Neurokinetic therapy: Healing bodywork to treat injuries and chronic pain
- Neurodevelopmental technique: Improves movement control as a result of neurological issues, such as cerebral palsy, stroke, or head injury
- Rock taping: Decreases swelling and inflammation underneath the skin
- TENS therapy: Improves pain relief with low-voltage electrical current
If you require more complex care, we will connect you directly with one of our seven hospitals and specialists—all within the extensive Mount Sinai Health System in New York City.
Our doctors will also provide you with home exercises and a treatment program. We remain your partner for all of your rehabilitation needs.