Gender Affirmation Surgery
We are pleased to accept all major insurance plans, including Medicaid.
Gender Affirmation Procedures
Our surgical team works in coordination with Mount Sinai’s Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery to provide each patient with 360-degree care, from hormone therapy and laser hair removal to social work and mental health services.
Our Union Square surgical specialists have deep experience performing all types of gender affirmation procedures, including the following:
Transgender women may choose trans-feminine surgery. Our team is highly skilled in performing all procedures, including the following:
- Orchiectomy: This procedure removes the testes while allowing other parts of the genitals to remain.
- Vaginoplasty: Using a penile inversion technique, this procedure reconstructs your existing genital tissue to create a vagina, labia major, labia minor, and clitoris. Our surgeons are skilled in highly precise robotic procedures that also use tissues from other areas to create the most natural, self-lubricating vagina possible. These techniques include robotic peritoneal flap vaginoplasty (using tissue from the peritoneum) and robotic sigmoid vaginoplasty (using tissue from the colon). Tissue from around the testicles, called tunica vaginalis, may also be used.
Transgender men may choose trans-masculine surgery. Our team is highly skilled in performing all trans-masculine procedures, including the following:
- Metoidioplasty: This procedure creates a penis from an enlarged clitoris, and it can be performed with or without a vaginectomy (removal of the vagina).
- Phalloplasty: This procedure, which typically involves multiple steps, creates a penis from tissue taken from other locations of the body. Different phalloplasty techniques use tissue from the arm (radial forearm free flap), the side (latissimus dorsi flap), or the leg (anterolateral thigh flap).
- Penile prosthesis placement: Following phalloplasty, our surgeons are skilled in the placement of both malleable and inflatable penile prosthesis.
Other Reconstruction and Revision Surgeries
In addition to gender-affirming surgeries, our specialists have vast experience performing procedures in a wide range of areas, including the following:
- Buried penis
- Penile prosthesis placement
- Urethral strictures
- Radiation damage fistulas
Meet Our Team
Our committed team of surgeons, physicians, nurses, and staff includes the following specialists, who work with you and your family to choose the best possible surgical options.