COPD - control drugs
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease - control drugs; Bronchodilators - COPD - control drugs; Beta agonist inhaler - COPD - control drugs; Anticholinergic inhaler - COPD - control drugs; Long-acting inhaler - COPD - control drugs; Corticosteroid inhaler - COPD - control drugs
Anticholinergic inhalers include:
- Aclidinium (Tudorza Pressair)
- Glycopyrronium (Seebri Neohaler)
- Ipratropium (Atrovent)
- Tiotropium (Spiriva)
- Umeclidinium (Incruse Ellipta)
Use your anticholinergic inhalers every day, even if you do not have symptoms.
Beta-agonist inhalers include:
- Arformoterol (Brovana)
- Formoterol (Foradil; Perforomist)
- Indacaterol (Arcapta Neohaler)
- Salmeterol (Serevent)
- Olodaterol (Striverdi Respimat)
DO NOT use a spacer with beta-agonist inhalers.
Inhaled corticosteroids include:
- Beclomethasone (Qvar)
- Fluticasone (Flovent)
- Ciclesonide (Alvesco)
- Mometasone (Asmanex)
- Budesonide ( Pulmicort)
- Flunisolide (Aerobid)
After you use these drugs, rinse your mouth with water, gargle, and spit.
Combination Inhaled Medicines
Combination medicines combine two drugs and are inhaled. They include:
- Albuterol and ipratropium (Combivent Respimat; Duoneb)
- Budesonide and formoterol (Symbicort)
- Fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair)
- Fluticasone and vilanterol (Breo Ellipta)
- Formoterol and mometasone (Dulera)
- Tiotropium and olodaterol (Stiolto Respimat)
- Umeclidinium and vilanterol (Anoro Ellipta)
- Glycopyrrolate and formoterol (Bevespi Aerosphere)
- Indacaterol and glycopyrrolate (Utibron Neohaler)
- Fluticasone and umeclidinium and vilanterol (Trelegy Ellipta)
Roflumilast (Daliresp) is a tablet that is swallowed.
Azithromycin is a tablet that is swallowed.
Anderson B, Brown H, Bruhl E, et al. Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement website. Health Care Guideline: Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). 10th edition.
Han MK, Lazarus SC. COPD: clinical diagnosis and management. In: Broaddus VC, Mason RJ, Ernst JD, et al, eds. Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2016:chap 44.
Rabe KF, Watz H. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Lancet. 2017;389(10082):1931-1940. PMID: 28513453
Vogelmeier CF, Criner GJ, Martinez FJ, et al. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive lung disease 2017 report: GOLD Executive Summary. Respirology. 2017;22(3):575-601. PMID: 28150362
Last reviewed on: 2/18/2018
Reviewed by: Denis Hadjiliadis, MD, MHS, Paul F. Harron Jr. Associate Professor of Medicine, Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team. 02-25-19: Editorial update.