The Children’s Heart Center—an alliance between Mount Sinai and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia—brings unprecedented access to the combined expertise and experience of two world-leading institutions to provide the highest level of pediatric cardiac care in New York.
We offer expert prenatal, neonatal, pediatric, and adult care through a variety of programs and services including:
- Adult Cardiology
- Cardiovascular Genetic Testing
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Fetal Heart Program
- General Outpatient Pediatric Cardiology
- Heart Transplant
- Interventional Cardiology
- Pediatric Cardiology Critical Care
At Children’s Heart Center, our interdisciplinary team will work closely with you to ensure the best outcomes for your patients. We place an emphasis on placing timely appointments. Once a family meets with one of our specialists and begins to receive care, they will be provided with a hospital liaison. This liaison, known as a personal clinical program manager, will support the whole family at every point in their child’s journey. This support includes:
- Answering insurance questions
- Arranging mental health therapy for patients
- Handling electronic patient records
- Planning post-hospitalization care
What We Offer
Children’s Heart Center is your partner for expert cardiac care from before birth and beyond. We offer a wide range of programs and services to fit every patient’s needs including, but not limited to:
- Delivery and neonatal surgery: Babies who require surgery will be delivered at Mount Sinai Hospital and enter our Congenital and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery program. If surgery is not required delivery can take place at the patient’s local hospital.
- Diagnostic expertise: Our sonographers and physicians perform and evaluate about 2,400 fetal echocardiograms each year. In addition, we are dedicated to pioneering new forms of advanced cardiac imaging such as the 3D Model Prototype Program which assists in surgical decision making.
- Family-centered care: We provide a dedicated clinical program manager to support families in their journey through counseling and other support services
- Fetal Heart Program: Fetal echocardiograms are performed as soon as possible after a referral is requested. Surgery or other treatment will be scheduled soon after. Post-operative care for our most needy patients is provided in our Pediatric Cardiac/Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit (PCICU)
- Hospital collaboration: Telehealth technology allows CHOP doctors to provide second opinions and participate in conferences and treatment planning with Mount Sinai physicians and families
- Valuing community: When clinically appropriate, we fully support working with a cardiologist in the child’s local community. As patients age, they are welcomed to join the adult cardiology program at Mount Sinai to receive care
Referring a Patient
At Children’s Heart Center, our nurse coordinators will help you make a referral. As experienced cardiac intensive care nurse practitioners, nurse coordinators are dedicated to helping referring physicians connect with one another.
Our nurse coordinators perform a variety of services including:
- Arrange for second opinions and transfers
- Expedite and facilitate communication for patient consultations
- Provide referring physicians with updates and pertinent medical information
- Serve as a primary point of contact with referring physicians
Every specialist at Children’s Heart Center is committed to open and timely communication with the patient and referring physician. As a referring physician, you will receive updates via Epic, fax, and phone calls. When the patient is ready, he or she will return to your care as we continue to collaborate when necessary.
We take most insurance plans, including Medicaid, and our staff will help navigate the process of ensuring coverage. For more information or to refer a patient, call 1-844-733-7692.
Our Alliance with Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
Through our partnership with CHOP, specialists can share research to improve education for families and staff. Our doctors can consult with CHOP specialists to confirm diagnoses and develop treatment plans. In addition, patients have access to CHOP’s genetics team if they would like to receive a second opinion.
Why Choose Children’s Heart Center?
Access to expert pediatric cardiologists and surgeons from both Mount Sinai and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is available only at the Children’s Heart Center. At Children Heart’s Center, we are dedicated to providing world-class treatment and counseling for pediatric heart conditions. We involve families in treatment planning so that parents can be their child’s best advocate for excellent care.