Integrative Medicine Services Within Mount Sinai
At Mount Sinai, many established mind-body, physical medicine, creative arts, and nutritional and supplement approaches are integrated into clinical services and wellness initiatives. They are used to treat illness, manage symptoms and side effects of treatment, improve health outcomes and promote healthy behaviors and wellness.
- Physical and traditional medicine approaches such as acupuncture, cupping and gua sha, yoga, tai chi, qigong, therapeutic massage, osteopathic manipulation, craniosacral therapy, movement and exercise.
- Relaxation/stress reduction, mind-body and spiritual approaches such as meditation, mindfulness, hypnotherapy, behavioral therapies, biofeedback, journaling, breathing exercises, Reiki, Therapeutic Touch, pet therapy and guided imagery.
- Creative Arts therapies including music, art therapy, dance and writing workshops
- Nutritional, herb and supplement consultations
Cancer Support Services
Clinicians specializing in support care for cancer patients include social workers, psychiatrists, dietitians, chaplains, and experts in palliative care, pain medicine, and integrative medicine. The focus is on the whole person with individual needs that may change over time.
- Mount Sinai Health System Cancer Support Services
- Mount Sinai Chelsea – Cancer Support Services
- Mount Sinai Union Square - Cancer Support Services
Dubin Breast Center at Tisch Cancer Institute at Mount Sinai
The Center offers robust post-treatment and survivorship support. This includes integrative programs to help people cope with the physical and emotional side effects of cancer diagnosis and treatment, and to help them take the best care of themselves beyond treatment. All of the integrative programs are evidence-based and reflect state-of-the-art scientific protocols and clinical trials.
A staff of skilled integrative medicine professionals provides these services. All staff members are licensed and/or credentialed, and all have cancer-specific training and expertise. Services include the following:
Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Services
OBGYN at Mount Sinai offers a wide range of options for symptom management of gynecologic issues in addition to common medical practice. A comprehensive selection of integrative therapies is available that can be used either in combination with or in lieu of traditional Western medicine in order to provide a holistic approach to care.
- Feinstein IBD Clinical Center: Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Women’s Health Gastrointestinal Health Center
Mount Sinai Geriatrics offers a full range of integrative therapies as an adjunct to traditional medical interventions. Patients can participate in mindfulness-based stress reduction, yoga, tai chi, nutrition programs and classes to help them stay active and fit.
Mount Sinai Urology offers an integrative approach to treating genitourinary tract disorders as well as holistic and multidisciplinary approaches to wellness. Safe, evidence-based, and individualized treatment include acupuncture, nutrition, mind-body approaches, movement and exercise, massage therapy, and wellness and lifestyle coaching.
Integrative Pain Management combines traditional pain management strategies with a range of integrative therapies including acupuncture, biofeedback and yoga in order to provide optimal pain management for each patient.
- Acupuncture at Mount Sinai Union Square
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies
- Interventional Pain Management - Back Pain and Spinal Care
- Neurology – Headache and Facial Pain Treatment
- Neurosurgery - Pain Management
Comprehensive palliative services include physical, psychological, social, emotional, and spiritual support, as well as massage therapy and yoga practice to enhance quality of life.
In addition, creative arts therapy is offered to patients, their families, and their caregivers to support psychological coping and adjustment to illness, hospitalization, and loss.
Rehabilitation Medicine Services
Rehabilitation Medicine Services at Mount Sinai offer individualized treatment incorporating integrative therapeutic techniques such as yoga, tai chi, joint mobilization, manual therapy, osteopathic manipulation, and others.
- Physical and Occupational
- Neck and Back Rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation Medicine: Women’s Health
- Spinal Cord Injury Programs