Integrative Urology and Wellness
The Integrative Urology and Wellness Program at Mount Sinai Urology offers the best of complementary and integrative medicine to men and women with genitourinary tract disorders, and to all patients seeking healthy, holistic, and multidisciplinary approaches to treatment and maintaining wellness.
The mission of the Program for Integrative Urology and Wellness is to care for the entire person by using safe, evidence-based, and individualized treatment approaches. We offer holistic therapies aimed at treating the whole person: body, mind, and spirit. Founded by Jillian Capodice, MS, LAC, the program works together with the Men’s Health program within the Department of Urology.
We emphasize patient-centered care and strive to deliver comprehensive answers and education. Our goals are to inform and offer the safest and effective treatment strategies, create and strengthen the patient-provider relationship to benefit your needs, and help you with long-term goals to stay healthy and productive.
Conditions We Treat
We treat a wide range of conditions at the integrative urology and wellness program.
- Urologic oncology:
- Male urinary conditions:
- Chronic prostatitis (CP)
- Chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS)
- Other lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) related to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or overactive bladder such as urinary urgency
- Female urinary conditions:
- Female pelvic pain and vulvodynia
- Interstitial cystitis and painful bladder syndrome
- LUTS related to overactive bladder or urge urinary incontinence
- Urinary Incontinence
- Fertility and sexual function (male and female)
- Supportive care/Symptom management for patients with any type of cancer
- Musculoskeletal complaints including low back pain, neck pain and joint pain
- Pain and headache
- Cardiorespiratory and metabolic health
- Wellness and rejuvenation (male and female)
At the center, we incorporate a variety of Western and non-Western practices in developing our treatment modalities.
- Acupuncture and traditional Asian medicine
- Botanical and dietary supplement consultation
- Diet assessment, consultation and coaching
- Mind-body medicine (Qi gong, meditation)
- Movement, exercise and physical assessment and coaching
- Tui na and manual (massage) based therapy
- Wellness and lifestyle consultation and coaching
What Each Modality Does
Different integrative modalities are effective for specific conditions. Below is a list of approaches and the conditions that they treat.
Acupuncture and mind-body approaches are effective for chronic prostatitis, chronic pelvic pain, flank and groin pain, lower back pain, and male and female lower urinary tract symptoms such as urinary urgency and frequency (commonly related to conditions such as BPH, interstitial cystitis, painful bladder, and pelvic floor dysfunction).
Diet, lifestyle, and exercise consulting is helpful for prostate and genitourinary cancer patients. Our consulting helps with:
- Preparing your body for surgery and/or lose weight through:
- Meditation and stress reduction
- Body based therapies for relaxation including acupuncture, acupressure and manual therapy (massage), reflexology
- Providing active surveillance:
- Optimize health outcomes for patients on active surveillance through diet and lifestyle
- Holistic treatment of other conditions and wellness
- Optimizing health for patients after surgery and/or radiation
- Creating long-term health and wellness goals
- Offering supportive care in urologic oncology
- Providing symptom management for patients with advanced cancers including:
- Hot flashes
- Digestive problems