Focal Therapy and Interventional Urology
Our interventional urology program, led by Avinash K. Reddy, MD uses a team approach and incorporate the latest imaging technological advances and equipment. Our team also includes interventional radiologist, Aaron Fischman, MD. Our team approach helps us develop new therapies and move them as efficiently as possible from the research bench to clinical practice.
Interventional urology provides care for many urologic conditions in the most minimally invasive fashion possible. New approaches include state-of-the-art prostate cancer screening technologies, focal therapies for prostate cancer, minimally invasive kidney cancer treatments, embolization for benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH), and non-surgical approaches to treat varicoceles and erectile dysfunction.
Mount Sinai Firsts
At Mount Sinai, we have made—and continue to make—groundbreaking contributions to the field of urology. Here are some of our “firsts”:
- First textbook on interventional urology
- First magnetic resonance imaging/ultrasound fusion-guided tansperineal biopsy using electromagnetic tracking
- World’s first magnetic resonance imaging/ultrasound fusion-guided gold nanoparticle-directed laser ablation of prostate cancer
- First dual fellowship-trained urologic oncologist and interventional radiologist
- First in the world magnetic resonance imaging/ultrasound fusion-guided prostate biopsy course, in collaboration with the American Urological Association