The shoulder is a complex joint composed of several bones, tendons, and muscles, which give your arm its ability to move widely. But with that wide range of motion comes less stability than with other major joints in the body, which is why so many of us experience shoulder pain.
Mount Sinai West shoulder specialists treat the full spectrum of conditions and injuries, from arthritis to fractures to rotator cuff tears. Our renowned experts have vast expertise in restoring shoulder function, using non-surgical and minimally invasive surgical techniques. If you have severe shoulder arthritis, we can restore function with total shoulder replacement or reverse shoulder replacement.
Our goal is to relieve your shoulder pain and get you back to your regular activities as quickly as possible.
Conditions We Treat
Shoulder pain often occurs when lifting the arm, and can have many different causes. If you often participate in athletic activities that require you to continually raise your arms over the head (such as swimming and tennis) or make rapid, forced movements of the shoulder joint (such as baseball or golf), you might experience shoulder pain from overuse. Some common shoulder injuries are:
- Bursitis (inflammation of the bursa sac)
- Fractured collarbone (clavicle)
- Frozen shoulder (severe difficulty moving the shoulder)
- Rotator cuff tears
- Shoulder dislocation and instability
- Tendonitis (inflammation of tendons in the shoulder)
There are multiple treatment options to relieve shoulder pain and restore function.
- Medications for pain relief and to reduce inflammation
- Physical therapy to safely rebuild shoulder muscles
- Surgery, for rotator cuff tears and trauma injuries
- Shoulder replacement and reverse shoulder replacement surgery for arthritis or severe trauma