Mount Sinai Heart
Mount Sinai Heart in Queens is an award-winning group of cardiologists who are experts in treating patients with acute, chronic, and rare heart conditions. We offer state-of-the-art diagnostics and treatment in a warm and compassionate environment.
We have extensive experience with acute and chronic cardiac conditions and procedures, including:
- Arrhythmia (heart rhythm disorders)
- Chest pain evaluation
- Heart attacks and coronary artery disease
- Heart failure
- Heart imaging, including nuclear and molecular imaging, echocardiography, and cardio CT angiography
- Heart valve diseases
- High cholesterol
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Preventive cardiology
The Full Spectrum of Heart Care
We offer a broad range of cardiology specialties to meet your personal health care needs. From the most common to the rarest conditions, you will find that our cardiology experts have knowledge, experience, and compassion. Our specialties include:
- General Cardiology: Many of our heart patients start their journey here, finding help managing their cholesterol or high blood pressure. Preventive measures can often be achieved through lifestyle changes and/or medication. If you have difficulty breathing or heaviness in your chest, we offer diagnostics to pinpoint the issue. A general cardiologist can draw upon specialists, as needed.
- Preventive Cardiology: People at risk for cardiovascular disease benefit from a preventive cardiology program that offers a comprehensive risk assessment and development of treatment plans to maintain a healthy heart and promote wellness and longevity.
- Interventional Cardiology: Many heart issues can be diagnosed and treated through catheter-based procedures. Some of these minimally invasive procedures include balloon angioplasty, stenting, atherectomy, and percutaneous valve repair. These can be evaluated locally at Mount Sinai Queens and performed at Mount Sinai’s hospitals in Manhattan.
- Electrophysiology and Arrhythmia Management: When a person’s heart doesn’t beat regularly, tests of the heart’s electrical activity can tell us why. The results determine whether the arrhythmia can be treated through medication, ablation, a pacemaker or other device, or surgery.
- Structural Intervention and Valve Replacement: Enormous strides have been made in heart valve surgery and replacement recently. Both our structural heart specialists (interventional cardiologists) and our cardiovascular surgeons at Mount Sinai Heart in Queens are experienced in the latest procedures for transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), mitral valve repair and replacement, tricuspid valve intervention, closing holes in the heart, and more.
- Cardiovascular Surgery: Our cardiac and vascular surgeons are experts in bypass surgery; valve repair and replacement; surgery on the aorta, carotid arteries, or arteries or veins in the lower extremities; and many other procedures.
- Endovascular (peripheral artery disease) Treatment: Mount Sinai Queens is home to a new Center of Endovascular Excellence and is here to serve our patients who have peripheral arterial disease. This can include asymptomatic disease management (lifestyle changes, exercise therapy, and medical therapy) or peripheral intervention, for example, balloon angioplasty or stents placed in arteries, when a patient does not improve with non-invasive therapy. Peripheral intervention uses minimally invasive procedures to remove blockages and repair aneurysms in the arteries.
- Heart Failure and Transplantation: Congestive heart failure is when your heart becomes too weak or stiff to pump blood throughout your body. Patients may experience mild, moderate, or severe symptoms (shortness of breath while walking or lying down) and the course of treatment will vary accordingly. We treat heart failure with lifestyle education, medication, implantable devices, or sometimes transplantation.
The Latest Diagnostic, Testing, and Treatment Options
With access to high-tech imaging and exceptional cardiologists, we can treat the majority of our cardiac patients locally in Queens. We offer a full range of cardiology services, including diagnostics and testing services, ranging from the most general to the most highly specialized. General diagnostics such as echocardiograms, nuclear stress testing, and vascular testing are performed and the results evaluated by our highly trained experts. You also have access to the most advanced non-invasive technologies such as coronary CT angiography, three-dimensional echo, and TEE (transesophageal echo). Our state-of-the-art treatment options include implantable pacemakers, implantable cardio rhythm monitoring and management devices, remote monitoring services, and peripheral interventions.
Access to an Extensive Network
As part of the Mount Sinai Health System, we can seamlessly refer or transport you to one of our other hospitals, should the need arise. For instance, if you require a percutaneous implantable valve (i.e. TAVR) or an invasive cardiac surgical procedure, we can refer you to a specialist locally and have the procedure performed in Manhattan.