Pediatric Emergency Care
Pediatric emergency care at Mount Sinai St. Luke's is provided by board certified pediatric emergency medicine physicians. Our 12-bed unit is a separate dedicated area just for children and infants. We are equipped to take care of sick and injured children with a host of pediatric conditions on an emergency basis. At Mount Sinai, your child will be getting the finest emergency care possible thanks to our doctors’ expertise that is enhanced by specialized in depth of emergency medicine education that we provide.
As part of and fully integrated with the extensive Mount Sinai Health System, your child has access to a complete range of pediatric specialists. Our Pediatric Short Stay Unit, located at Mount Sinai Beth Israel on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, provides monitoring up to 48 hours after emergency care if medically necessary. As needed, we can arrange to have your child admitted for ongoing treatment or intensive pediatric care at Mount Sinai Kravis Children's Hospital.
Conditions We Treat
As a parent or guardian, your child’s wellbeing is of utmost importance. Emergency doctors are available 24 hours a day, every day. Call 911 and get your child to the nearest and best emergency room for treatment when symptoms and situations are severe.
An emergency requires immediate treatment for symptoms that are dangerous, such as:
- Asthma that causes severe breathing problems
- Serious injuries (trauma) including broken bones (fractures) and deep cuts (lacerations)
- Appendicitis that causes fever and pain and risks potential fatal infection when ruptured
- Allergic reactions such as swelling and difficulty breathing
- Rashes that spread red raised blisters that cause extreme itching and discomfort
- Fever of 103-degrees Fahrenheit or above in children and infants that can lead to seizures
One of pediatric emergency care specialists will evaluate your child’s condition and provide the treatment needed to stabilize the condition. We are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.