When considering facial rejuvenation, you may choose non-invasive treatments along with or instead of facial plastic surgery.
Procedures that don’t require your plastic surgeon to make an incision or to remove tissue are non-invasive cosmetic treatments. These non-invasive procedures provide the refreshing and rejuvenating results you want without using a scalpel.
Non-invasive treatments can erase the signs of aging from your face, such as lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone and discoloration, sagging skin and changes in your facial contour. During a consultation with your plastic surgeon, we will listen to your goals and recommend an individually tailored treatment plan that’s right for you.
Mount Sinai plastic surgeons offer several types of non-invasive treatments: injectibles (also known as fillers), skin resurfacing techniques (lasers), and non-invasive tissue lifting.
- Injectable treatments—are used on their own or along with facial surgery. Injectable treatments may act as relaxing agents, such as Botox® or as fillers, such as Restylane® which eliminate wrinkles and folds. Results from most injectable treatments are temporary, lasting from several months to a year or more, and can be repeated as desired. However, some injectables, like Kybella®, are permanent and eliminate double chin fat.
- Skin resurfacing techniques—involve various forms of chemical peeling, skin abrasion or laser resurfacing to improve skin texture and color. These treatments often supplement other cosmetic procedures.
- Tissue lifting— such as Ultherapy®, is a new category of aesthetics that offers the refreshing effects of a face and neck lift without surgery. This may be an excellent choice when considering non-invasive cosmetic enhancement.
Your surgeon will describe the results you can expect from each treatment, and help you choose the best option for you.
Botox® and Dysport™ are ideal for creating a youthful facial look. These convenient and effective injectable treatments act as relaxing agents to improve and prevent facial wrinkles caused by tense facial muscles. The treatment involves a series of small injections with little to no discomfort or bruising. Results last between three to six months. Repeat treatments are available as desired and will:
- Diminish wrinkles around the eyes (crow’s feet)
- Smooth out creases from across the forehead or between the eyebrows
- Require minimal recovery time
- Offer a temporary alternative to plastic surgery when you have minimal creasing
Soft Tissue Fillers
Restylane®, Radiesse®, Juvadérm®, and Sculptra® are injectable soft tissue fillers that are especially effective in treating advanced wrinkling. These gel-like substances may be a good alternative to plastic surgery if you are over age 65, though facial plastic surgery will provide more long-term results.
- Restylane®, Radiesse® and Juvéderm®—fill in frown lines and marionette lines around the mouth, as well as other common facial wrinkles. These products, which are made with a natural substance found in the body called hyaluronic acid, also effectively produce fuller lips. The improvements can last 6 months to 18 months.
- Sculptra®—improves facial contours by helping the body to increase collagen production, gradually increasing skin thickness. It helps the body fill in around hollowed cheeks, sunken eyes, and marionette lines. Sculptra is made from a synthetic material called poly-L-lactic acid, which is similar to the substance produced by the body during strenuous exercise. The best results take three to six initial treatments spaced four to six weeks apart. These improvements usually last about two years.
Permanent Chin Injectable
Kybella® is a non-invasive way to remove your double chin permanently. During a series of treatments, your plastic surgeon will inject Kybella®, which is a synthetic form of a natural compound that dissolves body fat. This is a new option for rejuvenating your jaw line.
Lasers are a popular and effective cosmetic treatment. Laser resurfacing provides proven permanent treatment for many of the effects of aging skin, such as:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Increased pore size
- Skin blemishes
- Uneven skin pigmentation/tone
Medical lasers generally produce their effects through high-energy, focused beams of intense, “single-colored” light that interact well on various tissues within the skin and body.
Ultherapy® uses ultrasound energy to lift and tone skin for a refreshed appearance. This is especially effective for loose, lax skin. Your plastic surgeon uses tried and true ultrasound to strengthen your skin from the inside out, in a completely non-invasive way.
The ultrasound energy first visualizes the targeted layers of your soft tissue and then treats those layers, leaving the top layers of skin completely undisturbed. Next, the ultrasound activates your body’s regenerative response by gently and gradually restoring memory of your skin and underlying tissue support. Ultherapy® can non-invasively create the effects of a face and neck lift. As with exercising to build muscle, the building of new collagen to lift and tone skin occurs gradually over the weeks and months that follow treatment.
Whatever form of non-invasive treatment you are considering, our Mount Sinai plastic surgeons will help you choose what will work best for you.