Female gender enhancement, also known as vaginal rejuvenation, is plastic surgery performed on female genitalia for personal cosmetic and health reasons. The purpose of vaginal rejuvenation is to restore your genital area to its original, youthful appearance for balance, symmetry, and function. Vaginal rejuvenation offers you aesthetic and medical benefits.
We also offer vaginal reconstruction surgery for women that have experienced some sort of trauma to the vagina due to childbirth, injury, or illness.
No matter what the reason for your considering vaginal rejuvenation surgery, this is your very personal choice. As plastic surgeons, we can advise you about your options and the benefits of the type of procedure that will be best to help you achieve your goals. Our doctors can provide an accurate diagnosis and offer you peace of mind in addressing your most intimate concerns.
Changes to your vagina over time may make you feel self-conscious about your appearance and might lead to urinary stress incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, and decreased sexual satisfaction. Whether due to genetics, childbirth, or aging, you do not have to simply tolerate problems you experience with your genitalia. We can help.
Our plastic surgeons are experienced in performing several types of vaginal rejuvenation surgery:
- Clitoral hood reduction—reduces skin over the clitoris for better stimulation
- Labiaplasty—reduces the size of the inner and outer lips of the vagina, also known as the labia
- Liposuction—removes small areas of fat from around the vagina for an enhanced appearance
- Vaginal tightening (vaginoplasty)—tightens vaginal wall for higher sexual satisfaction
The right technique for you will depend on your specific anatomy.
One of the most common types of vaginal rejuvenation is labiaplasty. This procedure can help with labia that protrude too far out of the vagina causing physical discomfort. Surgery can eliminate this problem by reducing the size of the labia. If the labia are different sizes, surgery can make the vaginal opening more balanced and symmetrical. Overall, labiaplasty removes excess skin and tissue to create a smoother contour.
Mount Sinai plastic surgeons use a variety of techniques to customize your labiaplasty procedure to meet your personal needs and address your personal concerns, including:
- Painful or unsatisfying intercourse as a result of protruding labia
- Vaginal lips that show in bathing suits or snug-fitting clothing
- Discomfort or friction from walking, sitting or other activities
- Acute embarrassment of one’s appearance during intimacy
- Frequent skin irritation or infections due to skin friction and hygiene challenges
There are a number of potential benefits to gain from a labiaplasty procedure:
- Improved appearance of the genital area
- Increased self-confidence, particularly during intimacy
- Greater comfort and confidence when wearing snug-fitting clothing or a bathing suit
- Ability to perform more activities without discomfort
- Increased satisfaction and reduced pain during intercourse
- Reduced skin irritation and infection risk
Your surgeon will discuss which procedure is right for you, and what results you can expect.
The primary purpose of vaginal reconstruction is to restore your vaginal function. Vaginal reconstruction surgery can treat conditions or symptoms brought on by the stretching and loosening of the vaginal walls, such as:
- Stress urinary incontinence
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Decreased sexual satisfaction
- Physical discomfort
In some cases, loose vaginal walls can cause pelvic organs to shift and drop into the vaginal area. This is a condition known as vaginal vault prolapse. When this occurs, you may experience significant pain, painful intercourse, and bladder and rectal incontinence.
It’s time to consider seeing one of our plastic surgeons to consider having vaginal reconstruction if you have the following symptoms:
- Bulging from the vagina
- Pain or pressure during intercourse or other activities
- Persistent or recurrent urinary tract infections
- Persistent or recurrent constipation
- Decreased sexual enjoyment, stimulation
- Difficulty emptying bladder or bowels
- Difficulty controlling bladder or bowels
In addition to addressing these concerns, you may find that vaginal reconstruction will also improves the appearance of your vagina, which may increase your self-confidence and emotional health.
While the highly sensitive nature of these concerns may make you hesitate to speak with anyone, please know that you can trust the experience of our doctors to advise you in confidence and treat you with sensitivity and expertise.