• Press Release

Phillips School of Nursing Launches Innovative Tuition-Free Program to Advance Nurses With Associate’s Degrees to Bachelor’s Degrees

New program enables nurses to be paid while progressing in their careers at a world-renowned health system

  • New York, NY
  • (January 31, 2022)

The Phillips School of Nursing at Mount Sinai Beth Israel (PSON) announced today the launch of the Upward Mobility Program, a first-of-its kind 15-month degree program that will enable nurses with associate degrees to earn a bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) and advance their careers with their tuition fully covered through a two-year service commitment to the Mount Sinai Health System.

Nurses hired for the program will work and train in cohorts at each of the eight hospitals in the Mount Sinai Health System. New nurses hired and current Mount Sinai nurses with associate’s degrees who enroll, will join one of three semesters (Spring, Summer and Fall) that will be offered annually. During the program, participants will function as registered nurses 80 percent of the time with the remaining 20 percent devoted to independent study time. Training will include clinical simulations, didactics—which will be offered virtually—and evidence-based projects. Nurses also have the option to specialize in fields such as perioperative, labor and delivery, emergency room, and critical care.

For more information about the program, please call or email Tuan Le at 917-623-7921 or Tuan.Le@mountsinai.org.

About Phillips School of Nursing at Mount Sinai Beth Israel

Founded in 1904, PSON is dedicated to the professional education of undergraduate nursing. Because it is part of Mount Sinai Beth Israel, students benefit from an impressive array of clinical experiences, in the hospital and in the community, throughout the Mount Sinai Health System. In addition to the RN to BSN, the school offers an Accelerated BSN. The school has designed a variety of innovative curricula responding to the special needs of working adults interested in entering the nursing profession, nurses interested in advancing their careers, and foreign-educated physicians and nurses who wish to pursue nursing practice in the United States. In 2014, the National League of Nursing designated the school a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education in the category of Student Learning and Professional Development. Located in the East Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan, convenient to public transportation, the school currently enrolls close to 300 students. In addition to CCNE, the School is accredited in nursing for its baccalaureate program by the New York State Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education.


About the Mount Sinai Health System

Mount Sinai Health System is one of the largest academic medical systems in the New York metro area, with more than 43,000 employees working across eight hospitals, over 400 outpatient practices, nearly 300 labs, a school of nursing, and a leading school of medicine and graduate education. Mount Sinai advances health for all people, everywhere, by taking on the most complex health care challenges of our time — discovering and applying new scientific learning and knowledge; developing safer, more effective treatments; educating the next generation of medical leaders and innovators; and supporting local communities by delivering high-quality care to all who need it.

Through the integration of its hospitals, labs, and schools, Mount Sinai offers comprehensive health care solutions from birth through geriatrics, leveraging innovative approaches such as artificial intelligence and informatics while keeping patients’ medical and emotional needs at the center of all treatment. The Health System includes approximately 7,300 primary and specialty care physicians; 13 joint-venture outpatient surgery centers throughout the five boroughs of New York City, Westchester, Long Island, and Florida; and more than 30 affiliated community health centers. We are consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals, receiving high "Honor Roll" status, and are highly ranked: No. 1 in Geriatrics and top 20 in Cardiology/Heart Surgery, Diabetes/Endocrinology, Gastroenterology/GI Surgery, Neurology/Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Pulmonology/Lung Surgery, Rehabilitation, and Urology. New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai is ranked No. 12 in Ophthalmology. U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Children’s Hospitals” ranks Mount Sinai Kravis Children's Hospital among the country’s best in several pediatric specialties.

For more information, visit https://www.mountsinai.org or find Mount Sinai on FacebookTwitter and YouTube.