At Mount Sinai Doctors on Long Island, our urogynecology experts provide care that focuses on the pelvic floor, including conditions related to the bladder, vagina, rectum, and uterus. Together, these experts are part of the Women’s Center for Pelvic Floor Disorders.
Our physicians here are fellowship-trained in pelvic surgery, board certified in obstetrics and gynecology, and are among the first surgeons in the United States to be board certified in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. Our specialists also have additional training in gynecologic laparoscopy (an alternative to traditional surgery that uses smaller incisions, for quicker recovery), as well as computer-guided hysterectomy using the da Vinci® Surgical System, plus a special interest in outpatient care, including outpatient laparoscopy.
We commonly treat women with the following conditions:
- Excessive bleeding
- Fistulas, or opening between two organs, including from the vagina to the urinary tract (vesicovaginal fistula) or from the vagina to the rectum (colovaginal fistula)
- Hysterectomy, including computer-guided surgery
- Incontinence, both fecal (bowel) and urinary bladder
- Noncancerous diseases of the reproductive system
- Overactive bladder
- Stress incontinence (when pressure on the bladder causes urine to leak)
- Pelvic pain
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Sexual dysfunction
- Uterine fibroids
- Vaginal or uterine prolapse, in which vaginal organs prolapse, or fall lower in the body, due to gravity or to pressure on the abdomen