Breast Cancer Services
At the Dubin Breast Center, we offer highly trained and experienced clinicians, and a comfortable, friendly environment. Our services are the very latest in screenings, diagnostics, and treatment. We are here to help.
Breast Cancer Screening
When a woman reaches age 40, the Dubin Breast Center recommends annual mammography screenings for breast cancer. These yearly screenings enable us to find any problem when it is smaller and more easily treatable. And that saves lives.
We have the latest imaging technology. These tools help us to quickly and accurately diagnose any breast issues you may have. An accurate diagnosis is essential for us to develop an individualized treatment plan.
Our doctors begin by asking about your symptoms and medical history. Then we conduct a physical exam, including a breast and lymph node exam. We may also need to may order blood tests. Additional tests may include:
- Breast imaging, which help diagnose and evaluate the extent of the cancer, such as mammography, ultrasound, computerized tomography (CT) scan, or positron emission tomography/CT scan
- Breast biopsy, in which we take a sample of breast tissue and/or the adjacent lymph node for evaluation in a laboratory
If cancer is present, we may need to conduct further tests to learn about the type of cancer. These tests may include:
- Blood tests, which look for tumor markers or genetic mutations
- Tissue evaluation, which look for estrogen and progesterone receptors, the presence of HER2/neu receptors, and Oncotype DX
The physical exam, imaging, and biopsy will help to determine the clinical stage of cancer, we use to develop the optimal treatment plan. Like other cancers, breast cancer is staged from I-IV. Stage I is a very localized cancer, while stage IV indicates a spread to other parts of the body.
Cold Cap Therapy
Cold Cap Therapy can reduce the risk of hair loss during chemotherapy treatment. This approach cools your scalp to a very low temperature, which constricts the blood vessels at the scalp. By constricting the blood vessels, we reduce the amount of chemotherapy drugs that reach the hair follicles.
If you have a high-risk of developing breast cancer, because of a genetic mutation or a personal or family history of cancer, our High Risk Program can help. You might be at increased risk because of a genetic mutation or a personal or a family history of cancer. If you are enrolled in this program, we will schedule regular visits so we can catch any developments early. The earlier we find any cancer, the more effective—and often shorter—the course of treatment. The monitoring program also offers counseling on cancer prevention, education, and information about the latest research in breast cancer.
Breast cancer treatment varies depending on the stage and type of cancer you have. A combination of therapies is most effective. The Dubin Breast Center provides a full range of treatment options. They include the following:
- Breast Surgery: The goal of surgery is to remove the tumor(s) and any affected tissue. This can also include reconstructive surgery following a mastectomy.
- Radiation Therapy: use radiation to kill any remaining microscopic cancer cells. It reduces the risk that the cancer will come back to the area treated. We use advanced techniques that can target the cancer while limiting radiation to other organs such as the heart and lungs.
- Medical Oncology: Medical therapies for breast cancer are more than just chemotherapy. Scientific advances allow us to target the treatment more precisely. This means we attack the tumor, but not healthy tissue. And this reduces the side effects you experience. Depending on the type of breast cancer you have, we may also be able to offer immunotherapies, biologic therapies and hormone blocking drugs. In addition, we participate in clinical trials. These can give you access to promising new treatments if you qualify.