Breast Cancer Services
At the Dubin Breast Center, we offer highly trained and experienced clinicians, and a comfortable, friendly environment. Our services encompass the very latest in screenings, diagnostics, and treatment.
Breast Cancer Screening
When a woman reaches age 40, the Dubin Breast Center recommends annual mammography screenings for breast cancer. These yearly screenings enable us to find any problem when it is smaller and more easily treatable. And that saves lives.
At the Dubin Breast Center, we have the latest imaging technology that enables us to quickly and accurately diagnose any problems. An accurate diagnosis is essential for the development of a successful individualized treatment plan.
Our physicians will begin by asking about your symptoms and medical history, conduct a physical exam, including a breast exam, and order blood tests. Additional tests may include:
- Breast imaging, which help diagnose and evaluate the extent of the cancer, such as mammography, ultrasound, computerized tomography (CT) scan, or positron emission tomography/CT scan
- Breast biopsy, in which we take a sample of breast tissue and/or the adjacent lymph node for evaluation in a laboratory
If cancer is present, we may need to conduct further tests to learn about the type of cancer. These tests may include:
- Blood tests, which look for tumor markers or genetic mutations
- Tissue evaluation, which look for estrogen and progesterone receptors, and the presence of HER2/neu and Oncotype DX
The physical exam combined with all other test results will help to determine the stage of cancer, which is used to develop the optimal treatment plan. Like other cancers, breast cancer is staged from I-IV. Stage I is a very localized cancer, while stage IV indicates a spread to other parts of the body.
Cold Cap Therapy
Cold Cap Therapy can reduce the risk of hair loss during chemotherapy treatment. Scalp cooling to a very low temperature constricts the blood vessels at the scalp and reduces the amount of chemotherapy drugs that reach the hair follicles.
If you have a high-risk of developing breast cancer, because of a genetic mutation or a personal or family history of cancer, our High Risk Program can help. If you are enrolled in this program, we will regularly monitor you so that we are sure to catch any developments early, to increase the effectiveness of treatment. In addition to risk assessment, we also offer counseling on cancer prevention, education, and information about the latest research in breast cancer.
Breast cancer treatment varies depending on the stage and type of cancer. A combination of therapies is most effective. The Dubin Breast Center provides a full range of treatment options, including the following:
- Breast Surgery: The goal of surgery is to remove the tumor(s) and any affected tissue. This can also include reconstructive surgery following a mastectomy.
- Radiation Therapy: Radiation therapy is the use of radiation to kill remaining cancer cells and reduce the risk of local/regional recurrence. This can include seed localization, which is an advanced approach to radiation therapy that involves inserting a seed or rod in or near the tumor.
- Medical Oncology: We use a various types of medications to treat cancer, including chemotherapy, biologic therapy, targeted therapy, and hormone blocking therapy.