"Man Took So Many Erectile Dysfunction Drugs His Vision Was Permanently Tinted Red" - Aristos Georgiou
A 31-year-old man developed a permanent red tint in his vision after overdosing on a common erectile dysfunction drug, according to a case study published in the journal Retinal Cases. Researchers at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai report that the man arrived at the urgent care clinic complaining that he had been experiencing a red tint in both eyes and the presence of perceived multicolored flashes of light for two days. He said that his symptoms had begun shortly after taking a dose of liquid sildenafil citrate, which he had purchased over the internet. Doctors diagnosed him with persistent retinal toxicity, concluding that the overdose had caused damage to the retina. "People live by the philosophy that if a little bit is good, a lot is better,” said Richard Rosen, MD, lead author of the study and director of Retina Services at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai. “This study shows how dangerous a large dose of a commonly used medication can be. People who depend on colored vision for their livelihood need to realize there could be a long-lasting impact of overindulging on this drug."
- Richard B. Rosen, MD, Professor, Ophthalmology, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Director, Retina Services, New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai