The Palliative Care Consult Team is available to all patients admitted to Mount Sinai. The interdisciplinary team consisting of physicians, nurses, social workers, chaplains and massage therapists specializing in palliative care works with patients and their primary doctors to help develop a continuity plan for palliative care.
Reasons to request a palliative care consult:
- Pain and symptom management
- Counseling/guidance about care options in the face of serious illness
- Changing goals of care
- Assistance in developing a palliative care discharge plan
- Transfer or admission to the Mount Sinai Palliative Care Unit for the vigorous symptom management or upon transfer from intensive care units when goals of care are changing
- Loss, grief, and bereavement support