At Mount Sinai Health System’s Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery—the first comprehensive health care service for transgender individuals in New York City and one of the only centers of its kind in the United States—you’ll find a care team committed to helping you achieve your goals. We provide a multidisciplinary approach in all our services, including primary care, transition care, and behavioral health.
Our physicians are all on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, one of the nation’s leading medical schools. It’s the first medical school in the nation to offer transgender surgery and psychiatric fellowships. These fellowships will help educate the next generation of experts in transgender health. Our fellows are dedicated to pursuing a career in transgender medicine, and as they shadow our specialists, they will share insights and support you.
Services We Provide
Our highly trained and experienced specialists can provide you with the medical and emotional support you need. We offer a variety of medical and support services at several Mount Sinai Health System locations below 34th Street, including here at Mount Sinai Downtown-Union Square, our Institute for Advanced Medicine at 275 Seventh Avenue, and Mount Sinai Beth Israel at First Avenue and 16th Street.
Our specialists work together as a team to address your primary care needs at every stage of your transition to ensure a comprehensive health care experience, with services including:
- Testopel® hormone replacement therapy, during female-to-male transition
- Lab and clinical monitoring
- Preparation for future surgical interventions
- Transvaginal ultrasound, for monitoring during female-to-male transition
For your convenience, we also provide referrals for a range of services, including:
- Electrolysis to remove body hair
- Legal services to assist with name changes and other documents
- Social work
- Gender reassignment surgery
- Transgender voice care to alter your voice, including therapy and surgical procedures
At our Mount Sinai Downtown-Union Square location, you can consult multiple specialists about surgical procedures for transgender needs, including:
- Hysterectomy, removal of the uterus
- Orchiectomy, removal of one or both testicles
- Non-invasive or minimally invasive revision, gender reassignment procedure
We can perform outpatient procedures at Mount Sinai Downtown-Union Square and our other transgender medicine locations, while inpatient surgeries can take place at one of Mount Sinai Health System’s seven hospitals.
We provide follow-up care for you. We realize that your needs may vary over time, depending on when you underwent gender reassignment surgery, received other treatments, and if you are currently receiving hormone therapy.