Living with Diabetes
Mount Sinai Health System offers several programs to support your health and well-being to help you live your best life with a diagnosis of diabetes or elevated A1c levels. Each program has its unique benefits and features developed to meet your needs with personalized care.
- Diabetes Care Program (DCP) -- NEW
- Diabetes Alliance -- Ongoing
- Glucometer for DCP and the Diabetes Alliance Participants
- An Educational Program from Blue Mesa
- Group Meetings with My Way 2 Prevent Diabetes
Diabetes Care Program (DCP)
Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) is introducing a program with personalized and coordinated care that will help you live well with diabetes or elevated A1c levels: the Diabetes Care Program (DCP). DCP is new health care program available to eligible active faculty, employees, and their eligible dependents.
To participate in this program you must meet the following criteria:
- Actively employed full-time by MSHS
- In a non-bargaining unit (NBU) position
- Enrolled in MSHS UMR/CVS employee health benefits and prescription plan
- Have a diagnosis of diabetes or a hemoglobin A1c blood level of > 6.5
- Eligible dependents of MSHS employees must meet this following criteria:
- At least 19 years of age
- With a diagnosis of diabetes or a hemoglobin A1c blood level of > 6.5
- Covered by your MSHS UMR/CVS health benefits and prescription plan
Your DCP Team
As a participant in the Program, you are cared for and individually counseled by your own team of Mount Sinai Health System providers, including:
- Diabetes Physicians: An internal medicine physician or a diabetes specialist (an endocrinologist) helps ensure you get the most up-to-date diabetes treatment. Your Mount Sinai physician will work with a team of Mount Sinai diabetes care clinicians to support you in managing your overall health.
- Clinical Pharmacists (Pharm D): A pharmacist will work with your Mount Sinai physician to ensure you are prescribed the most effective medication regime. Your pharmacist will help you understand the purpose and use of your diabetes prescriptions. You can have your prescriptions delivered to your workplace, or you can pick up your medications at the Icahn School of Medicine Pharmacy - the Employee Pharmacy located on the MC level in Annenberg.
- Registered Dietitian Certified Diabetes Educator (RD CDE): A registered dietitian will be part of your care team, advising you about nutrition as a component of your diabetes care and working with you to develop a custom meal plan.. You will learn how to make personal nutritional choices and adopt an activity plan to help boost your energy. Participants may take advantage of unlimited consultations with a registered dietitian.
As a participant in the Diabetes Care Program, you are also eligible to receive a free, easy-to-use, touch-screen glucometer that measures your blood sugar and gives you useful information to help you stay within healthy ranges. The meter works much like an App, allowing you to share your blood sugar levels with your health care team―no need for you to keep a written log of your numbers, it does that for you―and reaches out to you as needed to offer supportive coaching. You will also receive unlimited supplies, including test strips and lancets, at no cost.
DCP Next Steps
To participate in the Diabetes Care Program or for more information, please email: Wellness@MountSinai.org or call 646-605-7716.
The Diabetes Alliance
The Diabetes Alliance is a program developed for Mount Sinai Health System employees who are interested in taking the first steps in making nutrition and lifestyle changes.
One of our Registered Dietitians (RD) who is also a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) is available to consult with you about any potential risk of your developing diabetes, or to help you adopt ways to manage living with diabetes.
Your RD CDE will serve as your diabetes coach and work with you and your primary care physician to help you:
- Create a customized meal plan
- Start an exercise routine
- Address related health matters
- Average blood sugar (A1C)
- Blood pressure
- Cholesterol levels
- Self-care skills
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org today for help to prevent or manage diabetes.
Livongo for Diabetes
To help you track and share your blood sugar levels with the caregivers of your choice, Mount Sinai offers our employees access to Livongo Health’s cellular-connected glucose meter, In Touch.
In Touch is meter that measures your blood sugar and activity levels, indicators of your wellbeing. Those measures go to Livongo’s secure smart cloud, and in real time, are shared with your chosen care team that may consist of family members, an RD CDE, and your physicians. In addition, Livongo has team of CDEs who are available 24/7 to monitor and reach out to you if you are experiencing low or high blood sugar levels.
As a Mount Sinai employee, by participating in Livongo you receive unlimited blood sugar testing supplies. Non-bargaining unit (NBU) employees participating in a Mount Sinai Health System-sponsored insurance plan, are eligible for Livongo. Learn more about Livongo or email us if you have questions at email@example.com.
Blue Mesa Health
If you have a diagnosis of pre-diabetes or if you are at high risk for diabetes, Blue Mesa Health’s Transform 16-week educational program is a convenient way for you to access a curriculum that will teach you important ways to improve your health and help you prevent diabetes.
Through Transform, you download the Blue Mesa Health app that allows you to get wellness related content each week. The curriculum includes topics related to nutrition, exercise, initiating a healthier lifestyle, and practicing mindfulness. As an added bonus, as a Blue Mesa participant, you will receive a free wireless scale and a Fitbit.
To learn more or to register for Blue Mesa Health, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My Weigh 2 Prevent Diabetes
A series of team-based classes led by a health coach, My Weigh 2 Prevent Diabetes groups meet weekly for 16 weeks. This program has proven to help participants focus on wellness by helping you achieve personal nutrition and exercise goals. You learn how to incorporate healthy food options while creating nutritious meal plans and how to make small, meaningful changes to your diet. To learn more about My Weigh 2 Prevent Diabetes, email us at email@example.com.