Neuropsychological Testing and Evaluation
Mount Sinai provides comprehensive neuropsychological assessments, treatments, and support for adults and children who struggle with cognitive and learning disabilities. We treat patients with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, academic and developmental delays, disruptive behaviors, situational anxieties, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, cognitive impairment, and those who are on the autism spectrum. Our neuropsychologists provide the most effective and compassionate care for each patient.
About Neuropsychological Testing
A neuropsychological test includes an interview with the neuropsychologist and a comprehensive battery of standardized written tests. The interview and testing process typically takes three to four hours and includes measures of intellectual functioning as well as assessment of mood, behavior, and stress levels.
Neuropsychological testing measures strengths and weaknesses in attention, behavior, executive functioning, intelligence, language, memory, mood and personality, processing speed, and visual spatial functioning.
Our testing includes specialized clinical assessments for the following:
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Baseline cognitive functioning
- Cognitive disorder in psychiatric conditions, such as depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Cognitive changes following a medical illness or surgery
- Cognitive changes due to substance abuse
- Competency and capacity
- Dementia assessments for conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia, and Lewy body dementia
- HIV-associated dementia complex
- Language disturbance
- Learning disability
- Memory evaluations related to mild cognitive impairment, dementia, or normal aging
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
Based on these tests, we produce a report that is shared with the referring physician. The report includes a cognitive profile, detailed recommendations, objective information about the patient’s functioning, and specific issues that may be helped with therapeutic intervention.
We base our diagnostic and treatment approach on innovative research advances and extensive clinical experience. Our patients and their families are provided with the insights and tools needed to receive the most effective care possible. It is our belief that partnership with our colleagues and referring physicians is a key component to the success of our program and your wellbeing.