Mount Sinai’s rehabilitation program provides treatment for patients with pelvic floor dysfunctions, pelvic pain syndromes, and prenatal/postpartum conditions. We specialize in pelvic floor rehabilitation for the major conditions and disorders that affect women and men.
After a thorough review of each patient’s history, we conduct a comprehensive exam to determine the best course of treatment. Our experts work together to provide the best diagnostic testing, physical therapy, and aftercare for our patients. Our goal is to provide safe and effective treatments to ease pelvic pain.
Pelvic Rehabilitation Program
Mount Sinai’s rehabilitation program provides treatment for patients with pelvic floor dysfunctions. We specialize in pelvic floor rehabilitation for the major conditions and disorders that affect women and men.
- Incontinence (urinary and bowel)
- Constipation, incomplete evacuation
- Pelvic and rectal pain
Our therapists specialize in using a variety of techniques to diminish pain and increase the strength and functionality of the pelvic floor muscles.
- Computerized biofeedback: a computer is used to help the pelvic floor with contraction and relaxation techniques
- Classes: body mechanics, postural education, Pilates, and yoga techniques to re-educate the postural and core muscles
- External/internal soft tissue and joint mobilization: myofascial release – an alternative therapy that treats muscle immobility and pain
- Home exercises: postural, therapeutic, and Kegel exercises to build and maintain improvements made during treatment sessions
- Muscle-specific training: manual and verbal techniques to help weak muscles contract properly
- Relaxation training: exercises to diminish anxiety and muscle spasms during intercourse
- Scar management: decreases pain from scar adhesions after surgery
Prenatal and Postpartum Rehabilitation
Women’s bodies face many physical changes during and after pregnancy. Our physical therapists are skilled in treating pre- and post-pregnancy conditions. During pregnancy, your pelvic muscles adjust themselves to make room for your growing baby. Pelvic floor therapy is useful during pregnancy to help prepare women for childbirth.
Our therapy program helps identify and treat the symptoms of pelvic floor conditions. Our specialists develop individual treatment plans to address and relieve pregnancy-related body changes.
We treat the following prenatal and postpartum-related conditions including:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and other nerve entrapment syndromes
- Incontinence (urinary and fecal)
- Leg and foot disorders
- Neck and back pain
- Painful labor and delivery
- Sacral joint and coccyx pain
After a thorough evaluation, our specialists will create an individualized treatment plan that may include one or a combination of the following: electrical stimulation and biofeedback, home exercises, physical therapy, postural training, Pilates, and yoga classes.
With help from our physical therapists, you can get back to your normal life with restored pelvic floor function.