Nonrelapsing Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (NRSPMS) Study of Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) Inhibitor Tolebrutinib (SAR442168)
Age: 18 - 60 years
Healthy Subjects: No
Study Phase: Phase 3
Recruitment Status: Recruiting
Start Date: September 24, 2020
End Date: August 01, 2024
- 18 to 60 years of age inclusive
- Diagnosis of nonrelapsing secondary progressive multiple sclerosis according to the 2017 McDonald criteria
- Expanded disability status scale (EDSS) between 3.0 to 6.5 points inclusive, at screening
- The participant must have documented evidence of disability progression observed during the 12 months before screening
- Absence of clinical relapses for at least 24 months
- Contraceptive use by men or women should be consistent with local regulations regarding the methods of contraception for those participating in clinical studies
- A female participant is eligible to participate if she is not pregnant or breastfeeding, and at least one of the following conditions applies:
- Is not a WOCBP OR
- Is a WOCBP and agrees to use an acceptable contraceptive method
- The participant has conditions that would adversely affect study participation such as short life expectancy.
- History of organ transplant.
- Evidence of infection with human immuodeficiency virus (HIV), transplantation, progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML), active hepatitis B or C, active or latent tuberculosis or other active infections that would adversely affect study participation.
- Persistent chronic or active or recurring system infection, that may adversely affect participation or IMP administration in this study, as judged by the Investigator.
- History of malignancy within 5 years prior to screening.
- History of alcohol or drug abuse within 1 year prior to screening.
- Hospitalized for psychiatric disease within 2 years prior to screening.
- Clinically significant laboratory abnormalities (including evidence of liver injury) or electrocardiogram abnormalities at screening
- Bleeding disorder, known platelet dysfunctionat any time prior to the screening visit
- A platelet count <150 000/μL at the screening visit
- A history of significant bleeding event within 6 months prior to screening, according to the Investigator's judgment such as, but not limited to cerebral or gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Lymphocyte count below the lower limit of normal at screening.
- Recent live (attenuated) vaccine within 2 months before the first treatment visit.
- Recent major surgery (within 4 weeks of screening) or planned major surgery during the study.
- The participant has received medications/treatments for MS within a specified time frame.
- Receiving potent and moderate inducers or inhibitors of cytochrome P450 3A (CYP3A) or potent inhibitors of CYP2C8 hepatic enzymes.
- Receiving anticoagulant or antiplatelet therapy (such as aspirin>81mg/day, clopidogrel, warfarin).
- Contraindications to magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The above information is not intended to contain all considerations relevant to a patient's potential participation in a clinical trial.