Sports & Regenerative Medicine
At Mount Sinai, our sports and regenerative medicine specialists are experts at using a variety of non-surgical treatments for the healing of your injury and improvement in function. We take a team approach to managing a variety of injuries and aim to decrease or eliminate your pain, restore range of motion, and produce optimal mobility. We are committed to offering world-class outpatient sports and regenerative medicine services so that you can return to your athletic lifestyle.
We understand that every person’s body is different and, therefore, each treatment plan must be made specific to your needs and goals. Our team of sports medicine specialists is here to treat a variety of injuries you might experience such as sprains, strains, fractures, and tears of the cartilage and muscles.
Depending on your individual needs, your treatment team may include physiatrists, orthopedic specialists, and physical therapists. While some of the most common treatment options are immobilization, physical therapy, or medical acupuncture, other effective treatment options may include:
- Electrodiagnostic testing (EMG/NCS): Non-invasive imaging tests that are used to examine the condition and function of muscles and nerves
Fluoroscopic guided procedures: Small injections of dye that are used in imaging tests to determine the causes of pain in bones, joints, muscles, tendons, and cartilage.
- Epidural steroid injections
- Facet joint injections
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Osteopathic manipulations: Physical movements performed by a licensed therapist or specialist to put out of line parts of the musculoskeletal system back into place.
- Trigger point injections: Injection of an anesthetic or steroid used to relieve pain where irritated nerves are found
Our specialists and therapists also acknowledge that your confidence and self-esteem are crucial to your success during rehab. Therefore, we will recognize and treat any emotional issues that you may encounter with the help of Mount Sinai’s expert psychologists who are highly experienced in working with athletes.
Regenerative Musculoskeletal Medicine
At Mount Sinai, our specialists have perfected the use of regenerative musculoskeletal medicine to improve and accelerate healing for athletes. We use multiple forms of therapy to regenerate (regrow) tissue after you have experienced damage to a part of your musculoskeletal system. These forms of therapy include:
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP): After removing a small sample of your own blood and placing it into a centrifuge, plasma is removed from the blood sample and injected back into an injured bone, joint, or muscle that regenerates growth of healthy cells and strengthening the injured area of the body.
- Prolotherapy: This therapy consists of an injection that stimulates the body’s healing process to strengthen and repair injured muscles, tendons, and joints.
- Stem cells transplant: Biological “undifferentiated” cells are injected into the injured part of the musculoskeletal system and can grow to replace destroyed or damaged cells.
- Tenotomy: This minimally invasive surgical technique lengthens a muscle that has developed improperly or become shortened and is unable to stretch