Women's Heart NY
Heart disease is the number one killer of women in the United States with approximately half a million women dying each year from some form of heart disease or stroke. That’s about six times as many as die of breast cancer each year.
But women are often not aware of the seriousness of heart disease. Research has shown that less than 50% of women know about the level of risk. In addition, women may have different symptoms than men and may respond differently to treatments or testing.
Women’s Heart NY is a multi-site comprehensive heart program designed specifically for women who are at risk for, or have a history of heart disease. We offer diagnostic tests and treatments for a wide spectrum of heart diseases, including coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease, arrhythmias, and congestive heart failure.
Our multidisciplinary team includes cardiologists, nutritionists, smoking cessation counselors and exercise physiologists. We take an individualized approach to care, considering all aspects of a patient’s profile including health history, family history, and lifestyle. We provide a range of support services to help you achieve lifestyle modifications that can reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease.
While some aspects of heart disease are hereditary, we can prevent many conditions through modifying our lifestyle. Women's Heart NY offers an integrative approach to patient care, providing various opportunities to help support our patients’ efforts to live a healthier lifestyle. Programs and services offered through Women’s Heart NY include:
- Support groups which can provide emotional comfort in difficult times.
- Nutrition counseling which can play an important role in heart health. Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight, watching your intake of fatty foods and salt, and eating more fresh vegetables and whole grains can go a long way in helping prevent or control heart disease. Women’s Heart NY offers both period lectures on heart-healthy eating and cooking demonstrations as well as one-on-one consultations with our registered dieticians.
- Heart Smart is a six-session course offered through the New York City Parks and Recreation Department. The program includes cholesterol and blood pressure screenings and is geared to both men and women.
- Exercise classes because exercise is critical for the human body. We were built to stay healthy through stimulation and healthful stress; that means a regular regimen of exercise and movement. Women’s Heart NY offers monthly lecture-demonstrations focusing on exercise. In addition, our patients receive a discount at the McBurney YMCA. Please contact the program coordinator for details.
- Smoking cessation counseling. Cigarette smokers have a higher risk of developing coronary artery disease, and heart attacks. Among other negative effects on the body, smoking increases blood pressure; damages the lungs, which makes it more difficult to exercise and be active; and increases the tendency for blood clots. The physicians at Women’s Heart NY have undergone specialized training and certification with the American Lung Association Freedom from Smoking program to help you quit smoking. We offer individualized in-person counseling, on-line counseling, take-home materials, and periodic group lectures.
- Stress management services. Stress can contribute to heart disease and learning how to manage it typically leads to a better quality of life. Various stress management techniques include visualization exercises, meditation and other relaxation skills. While these measures alone may help many patients, others may also need individual counseling.
- Yoga can increase your focus and help you relax. Women's Heart NY patients receive a discount on classes at Reflections Yoga.