Early Feeding After Oral Cavity Reconstruction
Age: 18 years - 66+
Healthy Subjects: No
Study Phase: N/A
Recruitment Status: Enrolling by invitation
Start Date: March 01, 2021
End Date: February 01, 2023
- Patients receiving free tissue transfer regardless of the indication for oral cavity reconstruction will be included.
- Age ≥ 18 years.
- English, Spanish, and Chinese (Mandarin) speaking patients
- Ability to understand and the willingness to sign a written informed consent. Exclusion Criteria
- Patients having undergone prior major oral cavity surgery or radiation to the oral cavity (also known as surgical salvage patients).
- Patients with a known history of dysphagia or with current enteral feeding needs
- Patients with a history of traumatic brain injury, stroke, or dementia
- Patients unable to understand the research protocol and/or provide informed consent. The consent will be translated into English, Spanish, and Chinese (Mandarin). Given patient demographics at Mount Sinai Hospital, this will include the overwhelming majority of patients.
- Patients under the age of 18
- Patients whose participation in this trial would require exclusion from participation in another clinical research trial related to the patient's malignant diagnosis.
- Vulnerable populations (adults unable to consent, individuals who are not yet adults, wards of the state, pregnant women, prisoners, pregnant women)
- Head and Neck Neoplasms