Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
At Mount Sinai’s Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology program, we approach the special gynecologic needs of our young patients with respect and compassion. Specially trained to provide care for patients from infancy through early adulthood who face medical and surgical gynecologic issues, our experts take into consideration the physical and emotional development of each patient.
We understand that gynecologic problems may present differently in children and adolescents than in adults and that each patient is unique. Every patient is treated with personalized care that addresses their individual needs. We aim to develop a rapport and to make our young patients feel comfortable in talking openly with us. When appropriate we allow for confidential one on one time with our young persons. Talking together enables them to develop independence in taking care of their own bodies. We also meet with parents and caregivers, who are key partners in supporting a child or adolescent’s care. Our approach ensures that our young patients feel safe while receiving the services and resources they need.
Taking a team approach to care, we work closely with pediatric specialists in a variety of areas.
Conditions We Treat
We diagnose and treat a wide variety of conditions in our pediatric and adolescent patients. These include:
- Abnormal Pubertal Development
- Acute/Chronic Pelvic Pain and Dysmenorrhea
- Menstrual disorders and complex menstruation secondary to comorbid conditions or bleeding disorders
- Breast Disorders
- Congenital and developmental abnormalities of the genital tract
- Genital Trauma
- Ovarian and Paratubal Masses
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Vulvovaginal Complaints
Treatments and Services We Offer
We offer a variety of preventive and treatment services:
- Comprehensive well-woman care and initial reproductive health visit
- Reproductive Health Counseling
- Sexually transmitted infection testing/treatment
- Cervical Cancer Screening
- Gynecologic care for patients with special needs
- Menstrual Lightening/Suppression
- Well Exam
- Care for gender diverse youth
- Reproductive care for survivors of childhood cancer or at risk for gonadotoxicity
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Vaccinations for the human papillomavirus infection
- Office and surgical management of congenital abnormalities of the genital tract
- Surgical management for ovarian masses
- Medical and surgical management of endometriosis
- Menstrual lightening and suppression
- Management of vulvovaginal disorders
Why Mount Sinai
Pediatric and adolescent gynecology is an evolving area of medicine that requires special knowledge and sensitivity to both the physiological and emotional issues of a young patient. At Mount Sinai, we are pleased to be able to offer this special approach to our youngest gynecologic patients. We are one of the few places in New York City where this specialized care is available.
As part of an extensive health system that takes pride in offering world-class care to all our patients, we are able to provide the most current, state-of-the-art diagnostics and treatment—with a personal touch. We are here for you and your child.