Cosmetic Injectable Treatments
If you want to reduce the signs of aging but are not quite ready for surgery, cosmetic injectables might be your solution. At the Department of Dermatology at the Mount Sinai Health System, we have a wide variety of options to help. Cosmetic injectables can plump lips, restore fullness to your face, soften wrinkles and creases, and improve the appearance of scars. Here are some of the major types of cosmetic injectables that we use.
The most common cosmetic procedure in the United States, botulinum toxin injections reduce lines and wrinkles on the face. . These injections, approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), work by relaxing overactive muscles and are particularly effective around the forehead and eyebrows. We also use this treatment around the eyes, mouth, and nose. In addition, botulinum toxins can smooth the neck and chin, and improve the look of your nose and smile. We use several types of botulinum toxin injections, including Botox®, Dysport®, and Xeomin®. Because we use very small needles, most patients experience little or no pain. Depending on the medication we use, you should see improvement as soon as two to eight days after the procedure. Side effects are rare, though you might have bruising for up to a week. We can fix any asymmetry at a follow-up appointment. The procedure is well tolerated with minimal downtime and few side effects during a follow- up visit. Results last for three to five months. If you are pregnant or nursing, are allergic to eggs, or have certain neurological conditions, let us know beforehand because they may affect treatment.
We can eliminate lines and wrinkles and give you back a more rounded, youthful face with FDA approved injectable fillers. These substances attract and hold water to restore volume and balance to the face. We use small needles to minimize pain. In addition, some of the medications include a numbing agent. Side effects are rare. You might have some swelling, which lasts no more than three days, or bruising, which can last up to two weeks. If you have any asymmetry or uneven appearance, we can fix it at a follow-up visit. We use several types of injectable fillers.
- Hyaluronic acid fillers: Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance found in the human body. It gives your skin the firmness and bounce of a youthful appearance. These are the most common type of injectable fillers. We use these substances to treat scars, volume depletion in the lips, cheeks and temples and prominent facial lines (around the nose, cheeks, eyes and mouth). The results typically last 6 to 18 months, depending on the type of filler used. We use these types of hyaluronic acid fillers:
- Juvederm Ultra®
- Juvederm Ultra Plus®
- Juvederm Vollure®
- Juvederm Volbella®
- Juvederm Voluma®
- Restlane Silk®
- Restlane Lyft®
- Restlane Refyne®
- Restlane Defyne®
- Bellafill®: A long-lasting filler, Bellafill® treats medium-to-deep wrinkles, acne, and surgical scars on the face. We will test you first to make sure you are not allergic to the substance. The results can last up to five years.
- Radiesse®: Thisproduct works best under the skin to restore volume. . It stimulates your body to produce collagen and hyaluronic acid, which makes your cheeks, temples and other facial contours appear fuller. Results can last up to 18 months.
- Sculptra®: We injectScultptra deep into the skin to restore volume. It stimulates the body to produce collagen and hyaluronic acid. You will need several treatments for the full effect. You will likely see improvements over many months, and results can last up to two years.
As we age, many of us develop thinner lips. We use a variety of fillers to add volume and fullness, depending on what you need. You should see results immediately, and they usually last for 6 to 12 months.
If you want to improve the appearance of your nose but avoid surgery, injectable fillers can help. We can address the following problems:
- Bump on the nasal bridge
- Nasal tip imperfection
- Crooked nose
- Depressions in the nose
- Asymmetry and imperfections following previous nasal surgery
We apply a topical numbing cream for this in-office procedure. We use a variety of fillers, selecting the one that best suits your needs and anatomy. We can create subtle changes in the shape of your nose but cannot produce the more dramatic changes of a surgical rhinoplasty.
Double Chin Reduction
If you would like to fix a double chin, we can help. We can inject Kybella®, a prescription medicine, below the skin. It dissolves and removes the excess fat that causes a double chin. You will see some results after the first treatment, but to get the best results we recommend two to five treatments.
Skin and Hair Rejuvenation
To rejuvenate your skin, help with hair loss, and improve the results of laser procedures, we can inject the treatment area with plasma from your own blood. We draw some of your blood and process it to isolate the platelet-rich plasma (PRP). PRP contains concentrated growth factors, which stimulate skin and hair growth. We use the Eclipse® PRP system, and perform the entire procedure in less than an hour. Results continue to be seen after 3 months as the growth factors stimulate regenerating cells.
Reducing Excessive Sweating
If you sweat a lot in your armpits, and antiperspirants do not help, it can be embarrassing. You might also find that you have an odor that is not masked by deodorants. We can help.
Injections of botulinum toxin (known by brand names Botox®, Dysport®, and Xeomin ®) can help. Using tiny needles, we inject the medication into your armpits. Botulinum toxin temporarily blocks the chemical signals that stimulate sweat glands, which means you sweat less. Effects typically last for about three months.
If you prefer a permanent solution to excessive sweating we also offer the Miradry® radiofrequency device <link to Laser and Light-Based Procedures page> which is FDA approved to permanently eliminate sweating from the armpits over two treatments
Eliminating Varicose Veins
Varicose and smaller spider veins can be unattractive and embarrassing. To help, we can inject your veins with a substance that eliminates the vein. This treatment is called sclerotherapy. We perform it in our outpatient setting under local anesthesia. You will need to wear compression stockings after the procedure for the best results. We can also combine this treatment with vascular lasers for even greater effectiveness (Candela Vbeam Perfecta®).