Cardiac glycoside overdose

Digoxin overdose; Digitoxin overdose; Lanoxin overdose; Purgoxin overdose; Allocar overdose; Corramedan overdose; Crystodigin overdose

Cardiac glycosides are medicines for treating heart failure and certain irregular heartbeats. They are one of several classes of drugs used to treat the heart and related conditions. These drugs are a common cause of poisoning.

Cardiac glycoside overdose occurs when someone takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medicine. This can be by accident or on purpose.

Cardiac glycosides are found in several plants, including the leaves of the digitalis (foxglove) plant. This plant is the original source of this medicine. People who eat a large amount of these leaves may develop symptoms of an overdose.

Long-term (chronic) poisoning can occur in people who take cardiac glycosides every day. This can happen if someone develops kidney problems or becomes dehydrated (especially in the hot summer months). This problem usually occurs in older people.

This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual overdose. If you or someone you are with overdoses, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.

Poisonous Ingredient

Where Found

Symptoms

Home Care

Before Calling Emergency

Poison Control

What to Expect at the Emergency Room

Outlook (Prognosis)