Fetal Medicine Diagnostic and Treatment Center
If your unborn baby has a birth defect, a time of joy can become a period of uncertainty. Know that with Mount Sinai, you are not alone. The Fetal Medicine Diagnostic and Treatment Center is here to support you every step of the way. We offer expert diagnostic and treatment services located at The Mount Sinai Hospital.
The Fetal Medicine Diagnostic and Treatment Center uses a team approach to medicine. Our specialists work together to help you and your family make the best decisions and follow the course that’s right for you and your baby. We tailor care for each family’s situation and are committed to providing the best outcome for both mother and baby.
Answers in One Day, in One Place
We plan your visit to the Fetal Medicine Diagnostic and Treatment Center so that appointments and tests take place in a single day. We are sensitive to the anxiety you may be feeling and want you to get the information you need as quickly as possible. We can help with travel arrangements and accommodations.
Our nurse coordinators will be there to greet you when you arrive at the Fetal Medicine Suite. We will then review your full medical history and outline the plan for the day. This schedule can include a tour of our facilities if you wish. We will perform and review your tests and you will have the opportunity to discuss the results with a multidisciplinary team of experts by the end of the day.
Since accurate diagnosis is essential to planning treatment, we perform advanced diagnostic tests to confirm your baby’s suspected condition.
Our expert team uses highly specialized imaging equipment and best-in-class imaging protocols. These standards ensure that we obtain the best images possible during each stage of pregnancy, allowing for earlier and more accurate diagnosis of fetal anomalies.
We perform all diagnostic testing at Mount Sinai. Images are read by Mount Sinai’s dedicated maternal fetal medicine specialists as well as fetal radiologists and pediatric cardiologists.
Diagnostic tests may include:
- Ultrasound will be performed by a specially trained fetal sonographer and maternal fetal medicine specialist on site in the Mount Sinai Fetal Medicine Diagnostic and Treatment Center suite. Detailed high-resolution fetal ultrasound images are read by our maternal fetal medicine specialists for immediate interpretation
- A fetal echocardiogram, a noninvasive imaging study, will be performed as needed by specially trained pediatric cardiologists and dedicated sonographers at the Mount Sinai Fetal Heart Program, who conduct more than 2,400 of these noninvasive studies each year. Ultrafast fetal magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which may include 3-D MRI reconstruction, is performed on site and read by our specially trained experts in fetal imaging in the radiology departement. This test involves no radiation and requires no sedation of the mother or fetus
Mount Sinai’s team of experts work together, and with your family, to tailor care for your family’s individual situation and are committed to providing the best possible outcome.
Imaging results will be available within hours, and depending upon the diagnosis, you will meet with members of the team, including:
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialist
- Nurse coordinator
- Pediatric surgical or medical subspecialist with expertise in your baby’s diagnosis
- Relevant pediatric subspecialists that may include plastic surgeons, urologists, nephrologists, neurologists, neurosurgeons, orthopedists, or others
We will explain our findings in detail, answer all of your questions, and outline treatment options so that you have all the information you need to make the best decision for your family. Additionally, we provide specific education materials about the diagnosis.