I have a medical condition. How can I demonstrate my eligibility for the COVID-19 Vaccine?
As of Monday, February 15, New York residents with medical conditions that put them at high risk for severe complications of COVID-19 are eligible for vaccination. The list below is correct as of Friday, February 12, but we recommend checking the New York State website for updates.
- Cancer (current or in remission, including 9/11-related cancers)
- Chronic kidney disease
- Pulmonary disease, including but not limited to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma (moderate-to-severe), pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, and 9/11-related pulmonary diseases
- Intellectual and developmental disabilities including Down syndrome
- Heart conditions, including but not limited to heart failure, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathies, and hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system), including but not limited to solid organ, blood, or bone marrow transplant; immune deficiencies; HIV; use of corticosteroids or other immune-weakening medicines; or other causes
- Severe obesity (body mass index or BMI of 40 or above) or obesity (BMI of at least 30 but less than 40)
- Sickle cell disease or thalassemia
- Type 1 or 2 diabetes
- Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
- Neurologic conditions including but not limited to Alzheimer's disease or dementia
- Liver disease
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) has emailed additional guidance to New York City-enrolled vaccinators about certifying COVID-19 vaccine eligibility for individuals with certain health conditions. A letter from a health care provider is not needed to demonstrate eligibility for COVID-19 vaccination in New York City. Eligibility can be demonstrated in several ways:
If the vaccine provider has access to your medical records---those will serve as certification of eligibility
If not the vaccine provider does not have access to your medical records, please complete the following form prior to your vaccination: NYC Certification of Eligibility for COVID-19 Vaccine Due to Medical Condition form.
If you require further confirmation of your medical conditions, you may access them via MyChart under "Health Summary” or a recent “After Visit Summary”
If you do not yet have a MyChart account, you can create a MyChart account now.
If these options aren’t working for you, you can always call your doctor's office and request a letter.