Ronald Tamler, MD, PhD
- PROFESSOR | Medicine, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Bone Disease
- Endocrine, Diabetes and Bone Diseases (Endocrinology)
- Hospital Affiliation
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
- The Mount Sinai Diabetes Center 212-241-3422 212-241-3422
Book an Appointment - Ronald Tamler
, MD, PhD
Dr. Ronald Tamler, director of digital health implementation for Mount Sinai Health System, is a board-certified endocrinologist and internist and is certified as a nutrition-support physician and diabetes educator. He specializes in Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes and diabetic complications, but also treats patients with general endocrine problems (e.g. thyroid disease). He sees patients at the Mount Sinai Diabetes Center, located at 5 East 98th street on the 3rd Floor. Dr. Tamler particularly specializes in the endocrinology of men and has significant expertise in treating hypogonadism (low testosterone), male osteoporosis (brittle bones) and erectile dysfunction (impotence). Dr. Tamler has been featured for several years in various publications listing top doctors, including the New York Times and New York Magazine, and he is an honorary police surgeon for the NYPD.
Frequently asked questions:
- “What should I bring to my appointment?” If you have diabetes, please always bring your glucose meter to your appointment. It stores valuable information that we can download and analyze. Also, please bring any outside labs that were ordered by other physicians. This will help us make greater progress at your visit and may even save you the discomfort of a blood test. Please bring your insurance information, the filled-out questionnaire you were sent when you made the appointment, and a list of all medications and all nutritional supplements you are taking. If you are a new patient, please come in 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment, as the registration process might take a bit longer.”
- “I called to make an appointment, but it Dr. Tamler’s next available appointment is further away than I would like.” If you find that the next available appointment is too far away, you can request to be put on a waiting list in case another patient cancels, or you can schedule an appointment with one of Dr. Tamler’s associates at the faculty practice. All Mount Sinai endocrinologists are experienced, highly trained specialists of the highest caliber and will provide superb care.
- “I never test my sugar. Can you find out how bad my diabetes is?” Our office offers testing of Hemoglobin A1c, which mirrors your average blood sugar over the past 3 months.
- "What makes this practice so special for patients with diabetes?" If you are seeing Dr. Tamler and his colleagues for diabetes, you are not only getting great care from your doctor. You have all the resources of a Certified Diabetes Center of Excellence at your disposal. We have an entire team that is highly experienced in dealing with the particular needs of patients with diabetes, including a nutritionist, a nurse and nurse-practitioners who are certified diabetes educators.
- "What happens if I'm late?" If you are running late, please call our practice at 212-241-3422. In order to keep waiting times manageable for everybody, patients who are more than 25 minutes late will be offered to reschedule or wait until either a slot opens up or the last patient of the day is seen. Please be advised that Manhattan traffic and parking can be unpredictable, and budget your time accordingly.
Dr. Tamler discusses men's health and low testosterone in The Daily News feature The Daily Check Up.
View the PDF
Dr. Tamler chairs the ADA Diabetes EXPO at the Jacob Javits Center.
Dr. Tamler featured in “Knockout Obesity” and in Our Town, "Telehealth: How to Get the Most Out of Your Virtual Doctor Visit"
Dr. Tamler is registered to provide telehealth services in Florida.
- Autonomic Nerve Testing
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Growth Hormone Suppression Test
- Klinefelter Syndrome
- Thyroid Consultation
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Vitamin D Deficiency
MD, Universitat Dusseldorf
Internship, Internal Medicine
Residency, Internal Medicine
Boston University Medical Center
Mount Sinai Hospital
English, Hebrew, German, French
Dr. Tamler's PhD research focused on free radical biology, and he is transferring his experience from the bench to the clinical arena by investigating diabetes-related endothelial dysfunction. He is working closely with the departments of Urology and Cardiology, studying the effects of testosterone on endothelial function. He is also involved in several trials involving bariatric surgery in patients with diabetes. Dr. Tamler has published extensively on the use of nutritional supplements for hormonal issues in general and more specifically in men. Finally, Dr. Tamler is a sought-after expert on mobile health and the use of smart phone applications for diabetes self-management. He is a frequent speaker at regional, national and international venues on the topic of men's health and diabetes. He has also been involved in several trials involving bariatric surgery in patients with diabetes and with abnormal sex hormone profile.
Dr. Tamler is involved with clinical trials at the Mount Sinai Diabetes Center. There are numerous clinical trials that are ongoing or in preparation at any point in time. If you are interested in learning more about our trials, feel free to contact Dr. Tamler at 212-241-3422.
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Below are financial relationships with industry reported by Dr. Tamler during 2020 and/or 2021. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
- DeMatteo Monness
- Gerson Lehrman Group
Industry-Sponsored Lectures: MSSM faculty occasionally give lectures at events sponsored by industry, but only if the events are free of any marketing purpose
- Gerson Lehrman Group
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.