Ronald C Gentile, MD Email Ronald Gentile
- PROFESSOR | Ophthalmology
- Retina - Medical and Surgical
- Ophthalmology (Eye)
- Hospital Affiliations
- New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
Ronald C. Gentile MD, FACS, FASRS is Professor of Ophthalmology, Director of the Ocular Trauma Service (posterior segment), and Surgeon Director at New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai (NYEE) affiliated with the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. He is also an attending surgeon at Winthrop University Hospital on Long Island with a local satellite office. Dr. Gentile dedicates his time to clinical ophthalmic care, surgery, research, teaching, and humanitarian work. He is a retinal specialist and surgeon with expertise in diabetic eye disease, retinal vascular disorders, macular diseases, ultrasonography, UBM, retinal detachments and ocular trauma. Growing up in Queens and a graduate of Saint Francis Preparatory School, he was a Summa Cum Laude graduate of the School of Medicine at SUNY Downstate in Brooklyn. He completed his internship at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center and his ophthalmology residency at the NYEEI. He performed his Retina Fellowship at the prestigious Kresge Eye Institute in Detroit, Michigan.
Dr. Gentile has been consistently listed as one of Best Doctors in New York (Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.) and New York Super Doctors®, recommended by his peers. He has been and continues to be a principle investigator for many trials, devoted to scientific research. Some of these trials have resulted in the newest therapies used today that save the vision of thousands of patients worldwide. He has over a hundred publications, with many published in peer-review journals describing pathophysiological concepts, novel surgical techniques, and diagnostic tests for ocular diseases, helping him remain on the cutting edge while advancing his field. Dr. Gentile serves as a reviewer for many scientific ophthalmic journals and is a member of the American Board of Ophthalmology, American Society of Retina Specialists, Macula Society, and the New York Ophthalmological Society. He is past president New York Academy of Medicine, Ophthalmology Section and continues to be active within organized medicine. He has been a mentor to hundreds of young doctors and ophthalmologists, who he has helped train on both the art and science of medicine. He is also involved in leading humanitarian missions (operationrestorevision) to Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
IN THE NEWS:
1. Operation Restore Vision Helps Impoverished Residents of Pokhara, Nepal. Queens-bred pals Ronald Gentile and Ivanhoe Gadpaille key to goodwill effort. By Nicholas Hirshon. New York Daily News. Thursday, December 1 2011. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/operation-restore-vision-helps-impoverished-residents-pokhara-nepal-article-1.984719
2. “Dr. Ronald Gentile on how to keep and protect your eyesight” Louis Telano’s Street Wise WGBB 1240 AM, 404 Route 109, West Babylon, NY 6:00-6:30PM, 29 August 2016 (Live).
3. Violencia Doméstica Julissa Márquez: "La primera vez que te dan, vete corriendo" Por: Univision Publicado:http://www.univision.com/noticias/violencia-domestica/julissa-marquez-la-primera-vez-que-te-dan-vete-corriendo-video. Via Facetime Iphone 6 from Taormina Sicily. August 16, 2016
4. Premier Fall Episode “My Sister Was Stabbed 30 Times in the Face” CBS, “The Doctors” Paramount Studios 860 N Gower Street, Los Angeles, CA (Stage 29), September 2, 2016. http://www.thedoctorstv.com/episodes/fitness-model-with-no-pulse-my-sister-was-stabbed-30-times-in-the-face-does-brandi-maxiell-have-breast-cancer. Aired September 12, 2016.
5. Brooklyn woman who lost eyesight after stabbing can see again thanks to Mt. Sinai doctors. Pix11 News. 220 E. 42nd St., New York, NY. http://pix11.com/2016/09/13/brooklyn-woman-who-lost-eyesight-after-stabbing-can-see-again-thanks-to-mt-sinai-doctors/ September 13, 2016
Diabetes, Imaging, Retina
MD, SUNY Health Science Center - College of Medicine
Internship, Internal Medicine
Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary
Fellowship, Ophthalmic Pathology
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary
Fellowship, Retina & Vitreous
Wayne State University, Kresge Eye Institute
Richard C. Troutman, MD Award in Ophthalmology
In recognition of significant contributions to the welfare of mankind
Top Ophthalmologist in Manhasset, NY
International Association of Ophthalmologists (IAO)
Patients’ Choice Award
Compassionate Doctor Recognition
Rhett Buckler Award
Annual ASRS Film Festival
Man of Distinction Award
The Society of Pozzallo United
Honoree (Dei Premiati) 15th Premere Ragusani nel Mondo
The New York Times Magazine
Rhett Buckler Award
9th Annual ASRS Film Festival
Senior Honor Award, American Society of Retina Specialists
American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS) 25th Annual Meeting
Honor Award, American Society of Retina Specialists
American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS) 23rd Annual Meeting
Rhett Buckler Award
7th Annual ASRS Film Festival
New York Magazine
The John S. Hermann Award
Excellence in Teaching
Resident Teaching Award
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
Britan F. Payne Ophthalmic Pathology Award
Louis J. Girard Resident Research Award
1856 Award at Graduation
Highest Award for academic excellence
Upjohn Achievement Award
NIH Summer Research Fellowship Award
Alumni Fund Award
Phi Beta Kappa
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Dr. Gentile has not yet completed reporting of Industry relationships.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.