- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR Medicine, Hematology and Medical Oncology
MD, UCLA School of Medicine
Residency, Internal Medicine
Columbia University Medical Center
Fellowship, Hematology & Onc.
University of California - San Francisco
- Dr Chari is an Associate Professor of Medicine, the Director of Clinical Research in the Multiple Myeloma Program, and the Associate Director of Clinical Research, Mt Sinai Cancer Clinical Trials Office. Clinical Interests: Plasma cell disorders, including multiple myeloma, AL amyloidosis, POEMS syndrome, plasmacytoma, and monoclonal gammopathies of uncertain significance (MGUS). Dr Chari has published extensively on these topics and has been invited to speak regionally, nationally, and also internationally. Research Interests: Dr Chari’s research interests include the development of novel chemotherapy regimens, including phase 1 and 2 studies. He is principal investigator (PI) of several investigator-initiated trials as well as the national and international PI of several industry sponsored studies. As the Director of Clinical Research in the Multiple Myeloma Program, he oversees a program renowned nationally not only for high volume patient accruals but also rigorous quality assurance. The program has played a pivotal role in the approval of each of the 5 most recent drugs to be approved by the FDA for the treatment of multiple myeloma.
New York Metro Super Doctors 2011-2015
Best Junior Faculty Teacher Award, selected by 2008 Internal Medicine residency class, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Health Care Provider of the Year, Leukemia Lymphoma Society
Ewig Teaching Award, Deparatment of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Phi Beta Kappa, Stanford University
Chari A, Mazumder A, Jagannath S. Proteasome inhibition and its therapeutic potential in multiple myeloma. Biologics : targets & therapy 2010; 4.
Barley K, Harris JA, Diefenbach C, Jagannath S, Chari A. Misdiagnosis of non-hodgkin lymphoma as multiple myeloma. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 2012 Dec; 30(35).
Chari A, Barley K, Jagannath S, Osman K. Safety and efficacy of triplet regimens in newly diagnosed light chain amyloidosis. Clinical lymphoma, myeloma & leukemia 2013 Feb; 13(1).
Biran N, Jagannath S, Chari A. Risk stratification in multiple myeloma, part 1: characterization of high-risk disease. Clinical advances in hematology & oncology : H&O 2013 Aug; 11(8).
Biran N, Jagannath S, Chari A. Risk stratification in multiple myeloma, part 2: the significance of genetic risk factors in the era of currently available therapies. Clinical advances in hematology & oncology : H&O 2013; 11(9).
Biran N, Ely S, Chari A. Controversies in the assessment of minimal residual disease in multiple myeloma: clinical significance of minimal residual disease negativity using highly sensitive techniques. Current hematologic malignancy reports 2014 Dec; 9(4).
Chari A. Novel Targets in Multiple Myeloma. American Journal of Hematology/Oncology 2015 March ; 11(3): 11-16.
- Phase 3 Study Comparing Daratumumab, Lenalidomide, and Dexamethasone (DRd) vs Lenalidomide and Dexamethasone (Rd) in Subjects With Relapsed or Refractory Multiple Myeloma
- An Open-label, Multicenter, Phase 2 Trial Investigating the Efficacy and Safety of Daratumumab in Subjects with Multiple Myeloma Who Have Received at Least 3 Prior Lines of Therapy (Including a Proteasome Inhibitor and IMiD) or are Double Refractory to a Proteasome Inhibitor and an IMiD
- Phase I/Ib Pharmacokinetics Study of Oral MLN9708 Plus Dexamethasone in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma Patients with Normal Renal Function or Severe Renal Impairment
- An Open-label, Multicenter, Phase 1b Study of JNJ-54767414 (HuMax CD38) (Anti-CD38 Monoclonal Antibody) in Combination with Backbone Regimens for the Treatment of Subjects with Multiple Myeloma
- A Phase II Study of Pomalidomide, Daily Low Dose Oral Cyclophosphamide, and Dexamethasone in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma
- An Open-Label Treatment Use Protocol for Daratumumab in Subjects with Multiple Myeloma Who Have Received at Least 3 Prior Lines of Therapy (Including a Proteasome Inhibitor and an Immunomodulatory Agent) or are Double Refractory to a Proteasome Inhibitor and an Immunomodulatory Agent
- A Phase I Study of the Combination of a Selective Inhibitor of Nuclear Export (SINE), Selinexor, with Carfilzomib and Dexamethasone in Patients with Relapsed or Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma
- Recapturing Disease Response: A Phase II Study of High Dose Carfilzomib in Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Multiple Myeloma Who Have Progressed on Standard Dose Carfilzomib
- A Phase Ib Study to Evaluate Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of the Oral AKT Inhibitor GSK2110183 Administered in Combination with Bortezomib and Dexamethasone in Subjects with Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma
- A Phase II , Single-Center, Open Label study of Oral Panobinostat (LBH589) when administered in combination with Lenalidomide and weekly Dexamethasone in patients with multiple myeloma
- A Phase 3 Study Comparing Daratumumab, Lenalidomide, and Dexamethasone (DRd) vs Lenalidomide and Dexamethasone (Rd) in Subjects with Previously Untreated Multiple Myeloma who are Ineligible for High Dose Therapy
- A Randomized Phase 2 Trial to Evaluate Three Daratumumab Dose Schedules in Smoldering Multiple Myeloma
- A Multicenter Phase 1/2b of the Bruton’s Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor, Ibrutinib (PCI-32765), in Combination with Carfilzomib (Kyprolis) in Subjects with Relapsed or Relapsed and Refractory Multiple Myeloma
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Below are financial relationships with industry reported by Dr. Chari during 2014 and/or 2015. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
- Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited ); Novartis
Scientific Advisory Board:
- Array BioPharma; Celgene Corporation; Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited ); Novartis; Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Industry-Sponsored Lectures: MSSM faculty occasionally give lectures at events sponsored by industry, but only if the events are free of any marketing purpose.
- Celgene Corporation
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.
One Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1185
New York, NY 10029
1470 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10029
- Access Meicare
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Health Insurance Plan (HIP)
- Island Group
- Medicaid of New York
- MetroPlus Health Plan
- MultiPlan, Inc.
- Oxford Health Plans
- United Healthcare
- VNS Medicare
- WellCare of New York, Inc.
- Master Card
- American Express
- Personal Check