Clinical Epidemiology of Laryngeal Disease, Health Services and Care Pathways
While the subspecialty of laryngology is a relatively small size, the voice, swallowing and the airway have significant impact and relation to many areas of medicine. These include family and internal medicine, gastroenterology, pulmonology and critical care medicine, and neurology. With increasing importance on healthcare efficiency and outcomes, we are partnering with experts in population management at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and the Mount Sinai Health Network to address such issues.
Publications and Presentations
- Tong CL, Kleinberger AJ, Kubinski J, Altman KW, “Tracheotomy timing and outcomes in the critically ill,” Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 147: 44-51, 2012.
- Cichero J, Altman KW, “Definition, prevalence, and burden of oropharyngeal dysphagia: A serious problem among older adults worldwide and the impact on prognosis and hospital resources,” in Stepping Stones to Living Well with Dysphagia, ed. J. Cichero and P. Clave, 72nd Nestle Nutrition Institute Workshop Series, Vol. 72, Karger AG, Basel Switzerland, 2012.
- Takizawa C, Altman K, Derex L, Martino R, Speyer R, “Experts’ opinions of practices in dysphagia screening & management among post-stroke patients – need for a protocol,” EUGMS 2012 (European Union Geriatric Medicine Society), Brussels, Belgium, September 26-28th 2012.
- Takizawa C, Altman K, Derex L, Martino R, Speyer R, “Experts’ opinions of practices in dysphagia screening & management among post-stroke patients – need for a protocol,” The 34th ESPEN (The European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism) Congress, Barcelona, Spain, September 8-11, 2012.
- Altman KW, Takizawa C, Martino R, Speyer R, Derex L, Chevrou-Severac H, Altman R, “Dysphagia screening, evaluation and treatment in stroke: Implementation and integration with multiple concurrent care pathways,” International Care Pathway Conference, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, May 31-June 1, 2012.
- Martino R, Altman KW, Derex L, Speyer R, Chevrou-Severac H, Takizawa C, “Experts’ opinions of practices in dysphagia screening & management among post-stroke patients – need for a protocol,” European Stroke Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, May 22-25, 2012.
- Altman KW, “Dysphagia evaluation and care in the hospital setting: The need for protocolization,” Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 145: 895-898, 2011.
- Altman KW, Prufer N, Vaezi MF, “The challenge of protocols for reflux disease – A review of current protocols and development of a critical pathway,” Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 145: 7-14, 2011.
- Altman KW, Prufer N, Vaezi MF, “A review of Clinical Practice Guidelines for reflux disease: toward creating a clinical protocol for the otolaryngologist,” Laryngoscope, 121: 717-23, 2011.
- Altman RL, Altman KW, “Dynamic clinical pathways: Adaptive case management for medical professionals,” in Social BPM (Business Process Management). Work, Planning, and Collaboration Under the Impact of Social Technology. L Fischer, ed. BPM and Workflow 2011.Handbook Series, Future Strategies Inc, Lighthouse Point FL,
- Altman KW, Yu G-P, Schaeffer SD, “Consequence of Dysphagia in the Hospitalized Patient: Impact on Prognosis and Hospital Resources,” Archives Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 136: 784-789, 2010.
Grabscheid Voice and Swallowing Center of Mount Sinai
The Mount Sinai Hospital
Department of Otolaryngology –
Head & Neck Surgery
5 East 98th Street
New York NY 10029
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
310 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003
Columbus Circle Practice
200 West 57th Street, Suite 1410
New York, NY 10019