Rating Scales Information for OCD Professionals
Our program is pleased to share the following information for professionals involved in treating and researching OCD and related disorders.
Assessing the Severity of OCD
One of the most widely used instruments for assessing OCD includes a symptom checklist that includes about 75 examples of obsessions and compulsions. This instrument, called the Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale (Y-BOCS), is ordinarily used by trained professionals to evaluate OCD. The scale -developed by Wayne Goodman, MD, and Steven Rasmussen, MD, and Lawrence Price, MD - contains two parts: 1) the Symptom Checklist and 2) the 10-item severity measure. The psychometric properties of the Y-BOCS have been extensively studied (Goodman et al 1989; Goodman et al 1989).
More recently, the original developers along with Eric Storch, PhD, of the University of South Florida (Storch et al, 2010), created a new version of the Y-BOCS (referred to as the Y-BOCS II).
How to Implement Our OCD Ratings Scales
Thank you for your interest in implementing one of our rating scales within your clinical trial or practice. If you are interested in using the scale in an industry sponsored clinical trial, you must contact us directly (firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-659-8823).
Use of the Y-BOCS, Y-BOCS II and/or FOCI in industry-sponsored clinical trials is negotiated on an individual basis, and we require a contract. Please send us details of your specific request including the following information: Trial sponsor, indication, number of subjects, number of assessments per subject and anticipated study start date.
If you are interested in utilizing the scales for clinical purposes—including clinical practice or clinical research—you are permitted to use the scale provided you agree to the following terms. These terms ONLY apply to individuals and institutions NOT performing industry-sponsored work.
- The (insert name of scale here) is not authorized for commercial use.
- You can make up to 100 copies for your own use; we do not allow reproduction of the scale for distribution nor do we permit its posting on a website other than our own.
- The authors (Goodman, Rasmussen, Price, and Storch) retain copyright of the (insert name of scale here).
- Requests for adaptations or modifications of the scale must be approved by the original copyright holders.
- Please reference the authors on the first page of all copies and acknowledge the corresponding reference in any publication or presentation.
Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders Program
1240 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10029 Map
1425 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10029 Map
Danish-Version of the Y-BOCS
This download is password protected and available exclusively to owners of the Danish treatment manual: Kognitiv adfærdsterapi ved OCD