The Transplant Living Center
The emotional and financial stress of a life-threatening illness can be overwhelming, especially when you’re undergoing treatment far away from home.
Our Transplant Living Center (TLC) seeks to reduce this stress by providing home-like and affordable housing -- a “home away from home” -- in New York City for all transplant patients and their families. TLC is completely privately funded and volunteer staffed.
The TLC Facility
TLC is located in Normandie Court, a 24-hour concierge and doorman-assisted building within walking distance of the Mount Sinai Medical Center.
With 10 bedrooms, eight baths, two full kitchens, and large communal dining and living areas, TLC offers a warm and homelike atmosphere. It is completely furnished. Fresh linens are provided for all guests and housekeeping services are provided for all communal areas. Our kitchens are equipped with everything from frying pans to baking tins and apothecary tins filled with chocolate kisses. There are several supermarkets nearby, too.
Other amenities include:
- Health club lounge with indoor pool
- Sun deck
- Indoor parking garage
- Coin-operated laundry facilities
Who Is Eligible
All transplant family members are eligible. Because some transplant patients are immune suppressed, TLC is unable to accommodate anyone with a communicable disease or any children who have not yet received their inoculations.
If You Would Like to Stay
To make a reservation, please call: 212-348-3308. Your call will be received by a TLC volunteer who will make the appropriate arrangements. Since accommodations are provided on a first come, first served basis, your name may be placed on our waiting list. Every effort will be made to accommodate you.
Guests are required to pay one week in advance and to keep all payments up to date. TLC accepts cash, checks, Master and Visa cards.
Life in NYC
Those who wish to sample life in New York City will find:
- Parking is expensive and can cost $35 or more per day.
- Mass transit is at our doorstep. (Exact fare in coins is necessary.)
- Taxi service is convenient and readily available.
- Central Park, a 843-acre city-owned park, is just a short walk away.
- Museum Mile, several beautiful blocks along 5th Avenue chock full of museums and other fine arts institutions, is just two blocks away.
- Many restaurants in the immediate vicinity.
- A public library is located one block from TLC.
Remember if you come to:
- Apply for a telephone credit card or bring a cell phone.
- Apply for an auto-teller bank card.
- There is an ATM machine in the main lobby of Normandie Court.
TLC House Policies
- Everyone is asked to help keep our home clean.
- Anyone with a communicable disease will be denied admission.
- Alcohol, smoking, illegal drugs, and firearms are strictly prohibited.
- Children under the age of 16 must be supervised by an adult. TLC members are not permitted to babysit.
- TLC telephones are for local use only. Telephone numbers for guests use are: 212-348-3359 and 212-348-3228.
- TLC assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen items.
TLC is made possible through the generosity of volunteers and donors. A not-for-profit corporation, TLC is completely privately funded. If you would like to be included as a “Friend of TLC” please complete the form below.
Make checks payable to The Transplant Living Center, Inc., 4 East 95 St, New York, NY, 10128.
City _____________________ State __________________ Zip _________________
Enclosed amount: ___________________
Gift is given in memory of: _____________________ Gift is given in honor of: ____________________________
Please notify _______________________________________
Will your employer match your gift? Please inquire.
The Transplant Living Center, Inc.
235 East 95th Street
New York, NY 10128