U.S. News & World Report ranks Kravis Children’s Hospital among the nation’s top hospitals for Neurology and Neurosurgery in its 2016-2017 “Best Children’s Hospitals” issue. Learn more
Pediatric Neurology at Mount Sinai
The Division of Pediatric Neurology at the Mount Sinai Health System provides an unparalleled patient-centered, compassionate, and proactive approach to care, as well as clinical excellence. Pediatric patients and their families have unique needs, which our team of specialists addresses through coordinated, comprehensive care that encompasses all facets of a child’s neurological diagnosis. Our team includes more than 15 pediatric neurologists, nurse practitioners, and technicians who have expertise in caring for a variety of disorders that affect the child’s brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves, including:
- Arteriovenous malformations and aneurysms
- Attentional issues, including attention deficit disorder (ADD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Brachial plexus palsy
- Brain tumors
- Cerebral palsy and spasticity
- Cerebrovascular stroke
- Congenital malformations, including spina bifida
- Epilepsy and seizure disorders
- Headaches and migraines
- Mitochondrial disorders
- Movement disorders such as dystonia, ataxia, chorea, juvenile Parkinson’s disease, tics, and Tourette syndrome
- Neurobehavioral conditions
- Neurometabolic disorders
- Neuromuscular disorders, including muscular dystrophy
Our board certified pediatric neurologists collaborate with a comprehensive team of pediatricians, intensivists, and pediatric neurosurgeons to provide state-of-the-art outpatient and inpatient care.
Diagnosing Pediatric Neurological Disorders
Pediatric neurological disorders are diagnosed through a comprehensive clinical evaluation of the patient’s history and symptoms. Sometimes, specific tests are needed. Our Pediatric Neurology program has full access to state-of-the-art diagnostic modalities that are child-friendly and the expertise to use them in seeking accurate diagnoses.
Our comprehensive diagnostic systems help to evaluate developmental disability, determine mental retardation, language and learning disorders, and autism and sensory impairments, such as vision and hearing loss. Our highly trained team has the knowledge and experience to identify developmental disabilities early, so that children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. We also provide support and education to parents in understanding just what their children face and the options available to them.
Treating Pediatric Neurological Disorders
All methods of treating pediatric neurological conditions are available at Mount Sinai and include:
- Clinical trials for new medications and protocols, when appropriate
- Collaborative psychological and psychiatric counseling
- Family education
- Occupational therapy to give patients adaptive living skills
- Ongoing and follow-up care
- Pain management
- Physical therapy to improve and retain function
- Practical and emotional support for the patient, caregivers, and family with input from social workers, including various support groups specifically geared toward the pediatric patient
- Referrals to other medical disciplines
- Speech language therapy
Our unmatched Pediatric Cerebrovascular Program, led by Alejandro Berenstein, MD, provides evaluation and treatment of children with vein of Galen malformations, aneurysms, and a variety of cerebrovascular disorders.
Our comprehensive care for children with epilepsy and seizure disorders is provided at our epilepsy monitoring unit (EMU) in our Level Four Comprehensive Epilepsy Center located at Mount Sinai Beth Israel.
Research and Clinical Trials
Our team also performs research in treatment of epilepsy, autism, and neurogenetic disorders. This research includes clinical trials of new medications as well as whole exome sequencing linking epilepsy to intellectual delays and brain abnormalities.
By specializing in both clinical care and research, our Pediatric Neurology team is at the forefront of innovation and provides exceptional, individualized care to patients.
New York City
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
10 Union Square East
New York, NY 10003
For Mount Sinai Beth Israel billing questions, call 212-523-7621.
Kravis Children’s Hospital at Mount Sinai
1184 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY
For Kravis Children’s Hospital billing questions, please call 212-987-3100.
741 Northfield Avenue
West Orange, NJ 07052-1174
For New Jersey billing questions, please call 212-523-7621.
141 South Central Park Avenue
Hartsdale, NY 10530
For Hartsdale billing questions, please call 212-844-6682.
|Like us on Facebook|
|Follow us on Twitter|