Lifestyle modification for congestive heart failure patients is key to their successful management of their heart failure symptoms and maintaining their overall cardiovascular health. Also, optimizing your overall heart health and health with the benefits of lifestyle modification place a patient who may become in need of advanced therapy in a better position health wise to receive surgical intervention with an implantable device, a mechanical support device, or a heart transplant procedure.
A major component of Mount Sinai Heart's personalized care of each patient is educating them and their caregivers about the benefits of daily lifestyle modifications.
Important lifestyle changes that are incorporated into each patient's counseling include:
- Avoid salty foods
- Monitor your weight daily
- Exercise daily as recommended
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat low-fat, low-sugar diet
- Consume fruits and vegetables
- Maintain healthy blood pressure
- Lower high cholesterol levels
- Manage stress/stressors
- Do not smoke
- Limit alcohol consumption