Zhenyu Yue, PhD Email Zhenyu Yue
- PROFESSOR | Neurology
- PROFESSOR | Neuroscience
Zhenyu Yue, PhD, is a Professor of Neurology and Neuroscience and Director of Basic and Translational Research of Movement Disorders.
Apoptosis/Cell Death, Autophagy, Axonal Growth and Degeneration, Human Genetics and Genetic Disorders, Knockout Mice, Lysosomes/endosome, Molecular Biology, Neuro-degeneration/protection, Parkinson's Disease, Protein Degradation, Protein Kinases, Protein Trafficking & Sorting, Synapses
Multi-Disciplinary Training Areas
Neuroscience [NEU], Pharmacology and Therapeutics Discovery [PTD]
- Autophagy-lysosome pathway as neuroprotection mechanism in the maintenance of axon and dendrite homeostasis and the clearance of protein aggregates, including polyQ expansion proteins (such as Huntington), tau and alpha-synuclein.
- The regulation of autophagy and endocytosis in neurons and neurodegeneration by PI3K-III lipid kinase complex proteins, including the modulators/adaptors: Beclin 1, Atg14L, URRAG, Rubicon and NRBF2; development of small compounds as modulators for PI3K-III activity and neuronal autophagy.
- Protein/lipid kinase and phosphatase in regulating synaptic vesicle trafficking and dysfunction in neurotransmission underlying Parkinson’s disease.
- The contribution of peripheral immune system and CNS glial cells to the neuro-inflammation path-ways underlying neurodegeneration mechanism in Parkinson’s disease and other human disorders.
- The molecular, cellular, and structural dissection of LRRK2 kinase in familial Parkinson’s disease; kinase inhibitor development as therapeutics to treat Parkinson’s disease.
- Genetic animal model development for human movement disorders and neurodegenerative diseases.
Molecular, Cellular, Behavioral Biology, and Translational Research in Neurodegeneration
The Yue Laboratory
The long-term goal of Yue Laboratory is to understand the molecular and cellular mechanisms of neu-rodegeneration that causes human neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s, Huntington’s and Alz-heimer’s diseases. The laboratory’s mission is to translate their knowledge from basic research to the development of molecular diagnostics and therapeutics for neurological disorders. Yue Laboratory’s primary research interests encompass molecular and cellular pathways for autophagy-lysosome deg-radation, synaptic vesicle trafficking, neuroinflammation, and protein/lipid kinase signaling in neuro-pathogenesis.
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Below are financial relationships with industry reported by Dr. Yue during 2021 and/or 2022. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
- YUNIPEUTICS INC
Equity (Stock or stock options valued at greater than 5% ownership of a publicly traded company or equity of any value in a privately held company)
- YUNIPEUTICS INC
Other activities: Examples include, but are not limited to, committee participation, data safety monitoring board (DSMB) membership
- Central South University in China
- Genentech, Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
Scientific Advisory Board:
- YUNIPEUTICS INC
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.