Yuxin Liu, MD, PhD Email Yuxin Liu
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR | Pathology, Molecular and Cell Based Medicine
- Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology
- Hospital Affiliations
- Mount Sinai Morningside and Mount Sinai West
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
- Mount Sinai Brooklyn
- Mount Sinai Queens
- New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Dr. Yuxin Liu is a surgical pathologist who subspecializes in gynecological pathology. Her research focuses on anogenital HPV-associated precancers and cancers. As a member of the Anal Dysplasia Program at Mount Sinai, Dr. Liu leads several clinicopathological studies on anal cancer screening and treatment. She serves as co-investigator and expert pathologist for an NIH-funded clinical trial on anal cancer screening in women. Dr. Liu has been an active member in the International Anal Neoplasia Society (IANS) and became a member of its board in 2021.
1. Yuxin Liu, W Glenn McCluggage, Teresa M Darragh, et al. p16 Immunoreactivity Correlates with Morphological Diagnosis of HPV-associated Anal Intraepithelial Neoplasia: A study of 1,000 Biopsies. Am J Surg Pathol. 2021 Nov 1;45(11):1573-1578. PMID: 34231547
2. Michael M Gaisa, Keith M Sigel, Ashish A Deshmukh, Volha Lenskaya, Courtney A Chan, Richard Silvera, John Winters, Yuxin Liu. Comparing Anal Cancer Screening Algorithms Using Cytology and HPV DNA Testing in Three High-risk Populations. J Infect Dis. 2021 Sep 1;224(5):881-888. PMID: 33388757.
3. Yuxin Liu, Monica Prasad Hayes, Eric M. Ganz, Juan Lucas Poggio, Volha Lenskaya, Threshia Malcolm, Ashish Deshmukh, Wenxin Zheng, Keith Sigel and Michael M. Gaisa. HIV-Positive Women with Anal HSIL: A study of 153 Cases with Long-Term Anogenital Surveillance. Modern Pathology 2020;33(8):1589-1594. PMID: 32152521
4. Yuxin Liu, W Glenn McCluggage, Teresa M. Darragh, Wenxin Zheng, Jennifer M. Roberts, Kay J. Park, Pei Hui, Morgan Blakely, Keith Sigel, Michael M. Gaisa. Classifying AIN 2 Based on LAST Recommendations: Interobserver Agreement Among Experienced Pathologists. Am J Clin Pathol. 2021;18;155(6):845-852. PMID: 33210115
5. Michael Gaisa, Yuxin Liu, Ashish A. Deshmukh, Kimberly Stone, Keith Sigel. Electrocautery Ablation of Anal High-grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions: Effectiveness and Key Factors Associated with Outcomes. Cancer. 2020;126(7):1470-1479. PMID: 31977082
6. Yuxin Liu, Keith M Sigel, William Westra, Melissa R Gitman, Wenxin Zheng, Michael M Gaisa. HIV-infected Patients with Anal Cancer Precursors: Clinicopathological Characteristics and HPV Subtype Distribution. Dis Colon Rectum 2020;63(7):890-896. PMID: 32168092
7. Ashish A Deshmukh, Ryan Suk, Meredith S Shiels, Kalyani Sonawane, Alan G Nyitray, Yuxin Liu, Michael M Gaisa, Joel M Palefsky, Keith Sigel. Recent trends in squamous cell carcinoma of the anus incidence and mortality in the United States, 2001-2015. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2020;112(8):829-838. PMID: 31742639
MD, Beijing Medical University
PhD, Beijing Medical University
University of Massachusetts Medical Center
Fellowship, Gynecology Pathology
Mount Sinai Hospital
Best Abstract Award for Outstanding Research in Treatment
International Anal Neoplasia Society
Junior Faculty Translational Collaborative Research Initiative
Department of Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Dean’s Healthcare System Team Science Award, Second Place
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Top 5 Junior Member Research Abstract Award
College of American Pathologists
USCAP Research Award
Papanicolaou Society for Cytopathology
Fellow Award for Research Excellence
National Institute of Health
Young Investigator Award
14th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections
HPV-associated cervical and anal cancers
My research has concentrated on the pathogenesis, prevention and treatment of HPV-induced cervical and anal cancers, especially in the HIV-infected population. I have several ongoing collaborative projects that focus on (1) improving the efficiency of anal cancer screening in high-risk populations via anorectal cytology, HPV genotype, and HRA-guided biopsy, (2) exploring the diagnostic and prognostic value of biomarker p16INK4a in precancerous lesions, and (3) understanding mucosal immune microenvironment alterations in the setting of HIV/HPV co-infection, aiming to develop targeted immunotherapy.
1. Yuxin Liu, Keith Sigel, Michael M. Gaisa. HPV Genotypes Predict Progression of Anal Low-grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions. J Infect Dis. 2018;218(11):1746-1752.
2. Yuxin Liu, Morgan Blakely, Keith Sigel, Tin Htwe Thin, Pei Hui, Michael Donovan, Michael Gaisa. Biomarker P16 Predicts Progression Risk of Anal Low-grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions. AIDS 2018; 32(16):2309-2316.
3. Yuxin Liu, Michael M. Gaisa, Xiaofei Wang, Talia H. Swartz, Yotam Arens, Karen A. Dresser, Carlie Sigel, Keith Sigel. Immune microenvironments of anal cancer precursors differ by HIV-serostatus, affecting ablation outcomes. J Infect Dis. 2018;217(5):703-709.
4. Yuxin Liu, Xiaofei Wang, Tamara Kalir, David Chhieng, Keith Sigel, Michael Gaisa. Anal High-grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions in HIV-infected Men: A Study of 100 Cases with Emphasis on Cytohistological Correlation. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017;147(3):315-321.
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Dr.Liu did not report having any of the following types of financial relationships with industry during 2021 and/or 2022: consulting, scientific advisory board, industry-sponsored lectures, service on Board of Directors, participation on industry-sponsored committees, equity ownership valued at greater than 5% of a publicly traded company or any value in a privately held company. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.