- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR Surgery
American Board of Surgery
MD, East Tennessee State University
Residency, Surgery (Gen)
Medical College of Georgia
Fellowship, Surgery Oncology
University of Chicago
- Dr Schmidt is a board certified surgeon specializing in surgical oncology and particularly in care of patients with breast cancer. His background also includes training in Molecular Medicine and Genetics, and post-doctoral experience in cell signaling, cancer biology, and translational research for development of novel targeted therapies. He is the recipient of a National Research Service Award from the National Institutes of Health. Currently he is the director of the Cancer Risk program (CaRE) at the Dubin Breast Center at Mount Sinai and has expertise in management of patients at high risk for breast cancer and other malignancies. This program incorporates individual risk stratification and management through prophylactic surgery, risk reducing therapies, and specialized screening protocols. Dr Schmidt is the co-Principal Investigator of the Breast Cancer Biospecimen Repository and has led the design and development of this tissue collection in conjunction with an accompanying comprehensive clinical information system as a tool for breast cancer research. As a member of the Tisch Cancer Institute, he is also involved in multiple clinical and translational studies through the Dubin Breast Center aimed at improving diagnosis, prognostication, and outcomes for patients diagnosed with breast cancer. Dr Schmidt’s research interests are focused on implementation of truly personalized medicine in breast cancer. Ongoing studies include chemoprevention, development of new blood and tissue biomarkers, utility of neoadjuvant protocols and patient derived tumor models to understand mechanisms of therapeutic resistance.
ResearchDuctal Carcinoma In SituCancer RiskHereditary Breast CancerNovel Targeted TherapeuticsPersonalized TherapyChemoprevention
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Dr. Schmidt did not report having any of the following types of financial relationships with industry during 2014 and/or 2015: consulting, scientific advisory board, industry-sponsored lectures, service on Board of Directors, participation on industry-sponsored committees, equity ownership valued at greater than 5% of a publicly traded company or any value in a privately held company. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) physicians - including those employed by MSHS - do not always participate in the same health plans in which MSHS hospitals or facilities participate.
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page or obtained by contacting this provider directly.
Insurance plans that the Mount Sinai Health System hospitals or facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.
Faculty Practice Associates Floor 12th Floor
5 East 98th Street
New York, NY 10029
1176 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10029
- Access Meicare
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- First Health
- GHI CBP PPO
- GHI HMO
- HIP Commercial
- Local 1199
- MetroPlus Health Plan
- Oxford Health Plans
- United Health Care - Mount Sinai Top Tier
- United Healthcare Medicare
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
- VNS Medicare
- WellCare of New York, Inc.