Melissa D Leber, MD Email Melissa Leber
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR | Orthopedics
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR | Emergency Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Orthopedics & Orthopedic Surgery
- Hospital Affiliations
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
- Mount Sinai St. Luke's and Mount Sinai West
- Physician Office 212-241-1650 212-241-1650
Book an Appointment - Melissa D Leber, MD
Dr. Leber is board certified in both Sports Medicine and Emergency Medicine. She is an Assistant Professor of Orthopedics and Emergency Medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, as well as the Director of Emergency Department Sports Medicine.
As an Assistant Professor in two medical specialties, Dr. Leber is involved in the education of the next generation of medical professionals, teaching medical students, residents and fellows the art of emergency medicine and orthopaedics. She lectures both regionally and nationally regarding orthopedic care in the emergency department. Her research interests include improving quality orthopedic care in the emergency department, knee injuries, professionalism in medicine, and the use of ultrasound as both a diagnostic and a therapeutic tool. In Sports Medicine, she sees all musculoskeletal complaints and injuries and specializes in ultrasound-guided diagnostics and treatment, concussion management and regenerative medicine techniques. Dr. Leber is one of the few physicians certified in musculoskeletal ultrasound (rMSK) and has received advanced training in platelet rich plasma (PRP) treatment and stem cell therapy, utilizing ultrasound for targeted treatment and quicker recovery.
After completing her emergency medicine residency training, Dr. Leber did her fellowship in sports medicine in Pittsburgh, PA. While there, she worked with professional athletes, including the Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB), USA Rugby and the Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USLPRO - Soccer) and served as team physician at various Pittsburgh colleges and high schools.
Since fellowship, Dr. Leber has been a Player Physician at the US Open annually since 2014. She is also an Airway Management Physician and Visiting Team Medical Liaison (VTML) for the NY Jets since 2015. She has covered events for World Rugby and is the team physician for the Horace Mann School. She works as a finish line physician for the ING - New York City Marathon, Half Marathon and Triathlon, during which she combines her background in emergency medicine and sports medicine to treat a wide range of sports medicine conditions. Dr. Leber was interviewed on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams regarding concussions, chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and advanced diagnostic techniques.
- 2017 Institute of Medical Education (IME) Award for Excellence in Teaching - Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- 2012 Senior Resident Excellence Award for an Outstanding Teacher, Clinician and Role Model, St. Luke’s Roosevelt Emergency Department
- As a college athlete at Brandeis University, she was named to the University Athletic Association (UAA) All Academic Conference Softball Team, the Verizon Academic College Softball Team, the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Team and twice to the All-UAA Conference Team
- Three-time Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Athlete of the Week, four-time UAA Athlete of the Week and two-time ECAC Division All-Star
- Member of the American Medical Society of Sports Medicine (AMSSM)
- Member of the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)
- Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS), certified in both musculoskeletal (rMSK) and abdominal ultrasound
American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Achilles Tendinopathy
- Arthritis Emergencies
- Carpal Tunnel Injection
- Elbow Sprain
- Finger Sprain
- Fracture Reduction
- Lateral Epicondylitis
- Ligament Sprains
- Medial Epicondylitis
- Muscle Strain
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- Pediatric Emergencies
- Rotator Cuff Injury
- Sports Medicine
- Stress Fracture
MD, Albany Medical College
Residency, Emergency Medicine
St. Lukes Roosevelt Hospital
Fellowship, Sports Medicine
Allegheny General Hospital
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Dr. Leber has not yet completed reporting of Industry relationships.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.