Kambiz Nael, MD Email Kambiz Nael
- ASSOCIATE CLINICAL PROFESSOR | Diagnostic, Molecular and Interventional Radiology
Dr. Nael is a graduate of the Shiraz Medical School. He completed a surgical internship at the Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, California. He did Radiology Residency at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA in Los Angeles followed by a Fellowship in Diagnostic Neuroradiology at UCLA. He then worked 3 years in University of Arizona as an Assistant Professor of Medical imaging, serving as the Director of Neuroradiology MRI and stroke imaging, before joining Mount Sinai in July 2015.
Dr. Nael’s clinical and research interests include advanced imaging, quantitative neuroimaging, and multiparametric imaging approach in diagnosis of variety of cerebrovascular disorders and brain and spinal neoplasms.
Dr. Nael has contributed to numerous publications and book chapters. He has given talks and presented research at many national and international meetings. He is a senior member of the American Society of Neuroradiology and also holds membership in the Radiologic Society of North America, International Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Medicine, Western Neuroradiology Society, American Society of Head and Neck Radiology (ASHNR), and American Heart Association, Stroke Council (AHA/ASA).
Multi-Disciplinary Training Area
Travel Awward for Junior Investigators
International Stroke Conference, Nashville,TN
American Journal of Neuroradiology
Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award
RSNA Research & Education Foundation
Anti-Tumor Therapy, Blood-Brain Barrier, Brain Imaging, Computational Neuroscience, Computed Tomography, Diffusion Tensor Imaging, Imaging, MRI, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Neuroscience, Spinal Cord, Stroke
1. Cerebrovascular disorders:
- Application of MR perfusion techniques (DSC and ASL) in better understanding the pathophysiology of cerebrovascular disorders
- Evaluation of collateral flow in patients with acute ischemic stroke using perfusion biomarkers
- Prediction of intracranial hemorrhage in patients with acute ischemic stroke using combined MR diffusion and perfusion biomarkers
- Advanced multimodal MR imaging paradigm (DSC, fMRI, MR OEF) for better detection and prediction of future risk of stroke in patients with TIA
2. Quantitative multiparametric MRI analysis towards predictive modeling in patients with brain tumors:
- Differentiation of solitary brain metastasis from GBM: A predictive model using combined MR diffusion and perfusion
- Differentiation of radiation necrosis from recurrent high grade glioma using multi parametric MRI
- Multiparametric MRI in distinguishing pseudoprogression vs. true progression in intracranial metastases treated with radiation
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Below are financial relationships with industry reported by Dr. Nael during 2020 and/or 2021. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
Scientific Advisory Board:
- Olea Medical Solutions Inc.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.